Friday, November 2, 2007

Saint Cecilia

                

This is a painting of Saint Cecilia by Waterhouse. Saint Cecilia is usually seen playing an instrument~ usually a piano or a harp, although I have seen her portrayed playing other instruments. I was surprised that in this painting, she is not playing an instrument. She has angels playing instruments to her instead.

Saint Cecilia did not want to marry. She wanted to remain pure, so her husband-to-be half severed her head. It is said that even though her head was almost cut off, she was still able to converse and reason as if she had not been injured. 

Saint Cecilia is the Saint of Musicians. My oldest daughter was named after Saint Cecilia, because when she was born I felt that she was the music in my heart.

I think it is interesting to note that most of the Saints that I love are male.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful reason to call your daughter Cecilia.I enjoyed this posting as them all.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand

Anonymous said...

How sweet of you to name your daughter that way....June:)