Friday, November 2, 2007

Day of the Dead~Nichos

                  

When I was shopping in Mexico one day, I noticed all of these funny skeletons and skeleton shadow boxes. What was all this fascination with the dead? I had to find out!
 
These small, decorated boxes are called "nichos." They are quite common among the Mexican and South American cultures and are proudly displayed publicly and in people's homes.
 
  This is a Day of the Dead Elvis. I have also seen Marilyn Monroe but I couldn't find a picture of her online.

               

The skeletons or nichos may be made of wood or tin, and they are usually decorated in bright colors. The boxes are set like a stage or an altar. They serve as a memorial to a special person or persons or they may be a reminder of a special event.

The nicho above is the Story of Love. It has four sections- when they meet, when they get married, when they grow old together, and when one dies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way cool....June:)

Anonymous said...

Isn't that just so nice all those memories in one little nichos box.I will know what they are now in future,if ever I see any.Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..."The History of Love".  I am really fascinated by this holiday.  Of course, I've heard of it before...but not as in detail like you have presented.  Thank you.

Hey you sassy thing...I made 2 Entries!!

Bethe