Thursday, November 1, 2007

All Saints Day

In America, the Halloween celebration is over, but in the Latin culture, it is only the beginning. For the next two days, people will be celebrating Death with All Saints Day on November 1st and All Souls Day on November 2nd. All Souls Day is also known as "El Dia De Los Muertos" or "The Day of The Dead."

Today is All Saints Day. On this day, people honor all of the Saints, known and unknown. Some people honor a special Saint (or Saints) who has served as role model for their life and who has  performed miracles for them through Novenas and prayers.

Among the most popular is the Virgin de Guadalupe. She is the virgin of Mexico who appeared to Juan Diego.

I live minutes away from the National Shrine of San Juan and that is where I go to church. The Virgin De San Juan is said to perform many miracles. When the church was burned down by a man who deliberately crashed his airplane into the church, the statue of the virgin was rescued and is proudly displayed in the new church.

She was my father's favorite. Her statue has human hair, and her dress is changed regularly, depending on the scripture of the mass.

What I was most surprised to discover is that many of the people of the Valley honor La Santa Muerte (Death). They see her as holy, and they say that she is also a saint of miracles. When I first came to the Valley, I was surprised to see her image painted on cars, honored on home altars, and worn as jewelry, not only on Halloween, but all year around.

More on this later...

I must make this entry short, because I have to shave my legs so I can put on pantyhose for my interview. Wish me luck putting on those pantyhose. Because of all the injuries my legs and hip have endured, it takes me a long time to put them on. I hope my interview will go well. =.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the posting is very interesting.How lucky you are to live near such a beautiful church.I have realy enjoyed reading this.Your graphics are beautiful too.I do hope you go well with the interview.Carn't you wear the short hose that only come up to the knees,if you are wearing something that falls well below who knows.Some people I have known to wear these if they have problems with panty hose.Good Luck.I will say a prayer for you.Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Cool thanks for the info......June:)

Anonymous said...

I never knew any of this. TY for telling us. Just goes to show you can learn something everyday. I have the same problem with pantyhose. Takes me a half hour to put them on. Have a wonderful evening and an even better tomorrow. (((((hugs))))
Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on the interview!

Bethe