Monday, January 21, 2008

The King Dreams...

What would life be like today if Martin Luther King had failed to share his dream with the world? His boldness cost him his life, because some people wanted things to remain as they were, but it was his voice that changed the course of history in America...

Today, his dream lives... a dream of vision and hope for all races and equality for both men and women... Today, little white children and little black children can walk together... Today, children of different races can attend the same school... Today, people of different races can share the same bus... Today, people of different races can eat in the same restaurant... Today, men and women have the right to vote...

Dr. Martin Luther King... It took but one voice to make a difference...

When I was a little girl, the kids at school would laugh at me, because I tried to learn... "Why are you trying so hard? You're a girl. Girls don't wear pants. Girls don't play sports. Girls don't go to college. Girls aren't allowed to work. This is a man's world. A girl's life is just to get married and to make sure that her husband is taken care of."  

Those words continue to ring in my ears... It made me angry. It made me rebel, but I gave in to their negativity... If I had listened to my gut, I would have completed school as validictorian... I still regret that to this day...

I was a little girl who wanted more... When I went to college, I wanted to study art... I wanted to become an artist. I had visions of the paintings that I would make, but my teacher discouraged me, because I was a girl... It's not unusual that I completed college with a degree in Criminal Justice, because that is the kind of degree that a man would get but it is also a far cry from becoming an artist...

I am so grateful that I was able to witness this little piece of history, but even more important than that is that I am a part of this history... I was not only the first person in my family to graduate from college, but I was also the first woman in my family to graduate from college, and my daughter was the second... I was a single-parent who achieved what people kept telling me was impossible...

So where do you find the most dreams? The place where you will find the most dreams is in the cemetery... People with so many dreams... so many dreams that were destroyed... so many dreams that never came to be...

There are so many people in the world who live to destroy your dreams... They work almost like magic to put doubt into your thoughts... "What you thinking?! That's impossible! What makes you think you can do it? What makes you think God can do it?! What does faith have to do with it?!" 

Doubt brings about fear and fears can paralyze and put an end to your dreams... We go through life thinking we cannot do it... We go through life giving in to their thoughts that our dreams are impossible... We doubt ... We lose faith... We stop working towards our dreams... We stop believing in the beauty of our dreams... and in the process, we lose ourselves...

Life is too short to hang around negative, critical, synical, skeptical, judgmental, small-minded, jealous people...

I am a dreamer... I am alone, because I have yet to find someone who is a dreamer like me... I look for people who have something to say... I look for people of wisdom... I look for people who will build me up... I look for people who will celebrate my victories and not be critical or jealous if I should succeed...

Dare to Believe... Dare to Dream...

With God, all things are possible...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice tribute!!!
Hugs,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Tribute!! Happy MLK day. -Missy

Anonymous said...

Good morning.  All you have written today is so very true.  Live your dreams my dear. One day they will all come to fruition...There are so many negative people in our world, it is no wonder that we are often on a slippery slope to nowhere.. I also dream, and hopefully work toward sthat dream in my own very small way. No use asking for peace in our wolrd if I am not at peace with my fellow man. is there,  So like all things it begins with me, or you, or anyone else who feels the same way.  DOWN WITH NEGATIVITY...THERE IS NOT SUCH WORD AS CAN't    love Sybil xxx

Anonymous said...

you are so talented Winivere I am sure your dream will come true one day and everythign you say is so true my dearfriend.Prayers for you always a lovelposting you hav edone once again.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Having grown up spanning two eras, there is a huge difference but yet so far to go still.  My worry now is that the dreams of my children may not be fulfilled due to economic and political issues.  You should be very proud of yourself, Wini.  What you have accomplished is not that easy to do.  Hugs  Chris

Anonymous said...

Due to the inspiration and foresight of this clever man ,many peoples lives changed ,I do hope something good happens for you soon ..love Jan xx