Saturday, December 29, 2007

TheNativity

   

While some folks might be busy putting away their decorations, I am on the hunt to find my Nativity set... It has been a disappointing 2007 not to be able to find the Nativity in church. I have been to two churches this Christmas season and none of them have a Nativity... It was sad enough when they took the Saints out of church. Why would they want to take out the Nativity during the Christmas season?! All they have is Christmas trees...

Yesterday, I took my garbage to the dumpster which is on the other side of the complex. Yes, even taking out the garbage is such a chore, going down the stairs and walking with all that heavy garbage to the other side of the complex, because someone complained that the dumpster had flies... That person is no longer living here... The pains of my body do not appreciate her unthoughtful complaint...

What was good about my dumpster visit, however, was that I found a good box to use to store some of my stuff, and I found a poinsetta bouquet that someone threw away... I felt like a bag lady, taking out that poinsetta from the garbage... It was a bit dusty, but it looks perfectly fine... I had not planned on decorating for Christmas this year. All I have is a simple little wreath on my door. I had not decorated, because it would mean extra work to take things out and put them back again, when I am trying to clean my apartment as much as my poor body will allow... but their taking away the Nativity hurts... It is not Christmas without a Nativity... and so today, I will ramble through my boxes to look for it and place it with the poinsetta somewhere in my apartment...

Although most people put away their Christmas decorations early, it is tradition in my house not to take down the decorations until the Three Kings arrive on January 7th... so I will have a few days to enjoy my Nativity...

It makes me sad that people complain about having statues of Jesus and the Saints in church... and the churches used to have such beautiful stained glass images... The "new and improved" churches only have a plain cross... They are so blah... so plain... They say that we shouldn't have statues of Jesus and the Saints in church because it is a sin to worship anybody but God...

Jesus and the Saints are reminders of how we should live our lives... This does not mean that we worship the Saints and the statues... Stupid people from other religions who do not understand our faith... Stupid people who are Catholic on paper only because their ancestors stated that they were Catholic does not a Catholic make... The athesists are so heard... Why can't we stand up for our rights, too?!! When will Christians be heard?!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph are still in their little stable... It was a hard journey to Bethlehem, only to be rejected from a nice, warm place in an inn... I can only imagine the cold winter nights in that little stable... and their attempts at trying to get warm in an open stable that is not insulated from the harmful strength of the wind... and of having to be surrounded by the intense smells of the animals with whom they shared the stable...

What a humble beginning...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe having a picture or a statue of Jesus means we are worshiping it! There are things that we put out as reminders. What better place to have a picture of Jesus than a church? People focus on the things that don't matter. Why don't we focus on the basics (Ten  Commandments) and see how much better we all do! I think we all forget the very basic things in life and just try to complicate ourselves more.... I did see nativity seens in my area. I guess that hasn't spread to this area yet. Hope you have a great day. -Missy

Anonymous said...

I have a nativity too.Only I couldn't get any straw this year to place it on.I am so happy you found something which was useful to you in the garbage dumpster.Other peoples junk is someone elses treasure.I agree wholeheartedly with what you have said here about other religions.Take care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

I agree with you totally. This political correctness bs is about all I can take. And your so right...why is it ok to tell the Christains "NO!"....while they are telling every other religion yes go ahead and worship as you please...where you please. It's not right at all...and I for one don't understand why more people are not upset. Is the Christian faith on it's way out? I hope you have a Happy New Year! Huggs....June:)

Anonymous said...

Aw, hope you find that nativity.  I had one that I love.  It was the old statues.  I lost baby Jesus.  I found him a couple of years ago but lost the rest of the nativity.  I love them.  My BF dumpster dives at his apt. complex.  He finds some darned nice stuff.  BTW:  I keep my Christmas stuff up until Jan 7 also.  HUGS  Chris

Anonymous said...

I hope you find your nativity set!!  Enjoy your season of celebration, hope you feel better soon.

Joann

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that a Catholic church wouldn't have something up with the Saints and all.  My protestant church doesn't, but, we wouldn't.  Ours does have up glorious angelic heralding banners and a big advent wreath, where we light a different candle each week of advent then the Christ candle on Christmas.  I don't take down any of our (limited this year) decorations until Ephiphany, either.  I'm glad to hear, in a later post, that you found your nativity set:)  It IS still Christmas season, IMHO, too.

Anonymous said...

Probably why I go to an older church with them! Worship & honor or pray to are two totally different things..."the communion of saints" is stated during mass!