Saturday, March 12, 2005

Playing Your Best Game

   Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn played the best game with the worst hand of anybody I know."
~Edward Wagenknecht, author

Boy, can I relate to that! I spend a lot of time "People Watching." Some people have it good in the beginning of their lives and suffer in their later years. Some people have it bad in the beginning of their lives but then something happens to turn everything around. Life has dealt me a pretty bad hand, but I still havent given up and I am still here. There is still time, and so, there is still hope...

Dont I feel foolish stepping on the scale this morning. Messed up royally on my diet on most evenings and the scale still shows a decline in weight. How much more progress would I have made if I had followed my diet plan 100%!

Makes me think, what things do people do to lose weight?! Well, usually, people do this: 1. Take diet pills. 2. Eat less. 

Hummm... not good enough for me... Weightloss is much more work than that... Must ask myself some questions...

A. Must make that decision. Do I really really really want to lose weight and am I willing to do whatever it takes to follow through with this goal? Scared... but yes!

B. Begin with the end in mind. What do I want to look like?! My purpose is not to look like a skinny model: I want to be fleshy enough to look like Marilyn Monroe. I estimate my goal at about 130 lbs.

C. Weightloss begins with the brain. Why do I want to lose weight? 1.Health: My body suffers from too many injuries and too many illnesses. Even if there is no one to love me or pamper me, I must learn to love and pamper my own body and take better care of it. 2.Energy: It would be great to be able to do all the things I could do when I was younger. It would be great not to be so tired all of the time. 3.Clothes: I want to able to buy something off the rack, knowing that it will fit. I usually dress conservatively, but I want to feel confident enough to wear something casually chic or sexy.. something that shows off some skin: shoulders, arms, back, legs, and in private... my tummy. (blush!)

D. What are you willing to do to get there? 

1. Get rid of the junk food.
2. Plan for healthier meals and snacks.
3. Shop with a list.
4. Watch portion size.
5. Reminders: sticky notes, aol alerts.
6. Schedule exercise.
7. Drink more fluids.
8. Stay active. Keep a To-Do list.
9. Observe how other people eat.
10. Read packages and labels.
11. Seek inspiration.
12. Write in my journal daily.
13. Track progress on calendar.
14. Educate self on weightloss.
15. Review what worked and review what failed.
16. Reward successes.
17. Think.Make better choices.

"She's scared and unsure of herself. I found myself wishing that I were a psychoanalyst and she were my patient. It might be that I couldn't have helped her, but she would have looked lovely on a couch."
~Billy Wilder on Marilyn Monroe

This Week's Progress
walked total of 3 miles ~ need more exercise.
lost 1-1/2 lbs.~ would have lost more if I had stuck to my diet plan 100%.
was able to breathe in my pants on Friday. ~ inch loss perhaps?

Today's Menu
B: Lean Pockets Sausage, Egg & Cheese, glass of milk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems that you are on the right path...its almost a new week, you can do it!
hugs,
Kathi