Friday, March 11, 2005

$86,400.00

          From the collection of Keith Shinberg. 

Image of Marilyn Monroe in "Monkey Business"~ I couldnt believe this picture when I saw it, because that looks like my shoulders and my breasts. OMG... Wonder if this is what I look like from the other side of the desk! Blushing...

What would you say is your worst fault? 

Marilyn: "I probably have many, but my worst is my difficulty in remembering that there are only 60 minutes in an hour. I'm invariably late, but I can't break myself of it."

If you had a bank that credited your account each morning with $86,400.00, and that carried no balance from day to day, what would you do? If you don't use it all, you will lose it. What would you do? You'd try your best to spend every cent, of course! 

There are 86,400 seconds in every day. How do you spend your time? People always say they dont have time to do this or to do that. Reality is that we all have the same amount of time, but many of us dont use our time wisely.

There are only 3 ways to make better use of your time: Discontinue low-priority tasks or activities, get someone else to do a part of what you are now doing, or be more efficient in using your time. For most of us, the only choice is to be more efficient in using our time.

The first step in any project, including weightloss, is to do something, anything, but start something. Being busy and making small changes creates more control which creates productivity and progress which leads to better self esteem. Must change my evening activities to keep myself busy. What am I doing on a daily basis to reach my weight loss goal??!!

Planning and making choices has become a crucial part of my weight-loss journey. I realize that when I dont plan, I blow my diet. Sometimes, it is the rebellious "Bettie Page" in me, but mostly it is because of not taking the time to plan what I will eat. I seem to do ok with my diet during the day. It's the overeating at night that has become a bad habit. Stop it! It's like the good angel on one shoulder (Marilyn) and the bad angel on the other (Bettie).

Bettie Page Bettie Page... the original Pinup Girl

Sometimes, I get nervous when I feel like something is going to happen. I can see now why I was so nervous the other night: A client signed in to see me and when I came out to get him, he yelled out, "Ay, mamacita!" It was embarassing because it was in the middle of a lot of people, including my coworkers and boss.

To top it off, the young man who likes me "just as I am" showed up. He tried to steal a kiss, but I quickly turned my face and he kissed me on the cheek. Luckily, we were in my office when it occurred and no one was around. Blush... It would be too pervy to be his girlfriend. I explained to him that I was so much older and he seemed shocked. Thank you, Lord for allowing me the opportunity to hide my age well! But all he said was that it could be our little secret! Blushing some more...

And then he asked me what I do for fun. I didnt know what to answer. My whole life has been to work work work ever since I was 5 years old. In my youth, I used to enjoy drawing, making my own clothes, jogging, going to the movies, dancing... but that was short-lived because I was too busy playing the role of the single parent and trying to better myself with an education. Perhaps I lived my "old years" in my youth, and now that I am older, I must plan how I am going to live my "young years." Hummm...

On a lighter note, my friend Derek accidently left a comment for me in Mary's journal. LOL... That put a little tickle in my day, Derek! LOL... still laughing...

Today's Menu:

B: 1/2 grapefruit, glass milk, coffee.

S: 1/2 apple, sliced.

L: Tuna fish sandwich on toasted wheat bread, cup of cream of potato soup. Note: add only enough mayo to make tuna stick together. Lowest calorie mayo is Kraft Fat Free Mayo w/ 0 grams of fat and 2g carbs, 10 cal per tablespoon, but I use less.

S: the other 1/2 of apple.

D: Homemade Fried Fish, 1/2 c Steamed Rice, Spinach Salad w/Zesty Italian dressing, Sugar-Free Jello.

You divorced when you were 20 and started working in a factory during World War II, which is actually how your modeling career started.

Marilyn: "I was in what they called the "dope room." I had to paint dope on the fabric used in making [remote-controlled] target airplanes. And then one day, the Air Force wanted to take pictures of our factory. So I worked as a model for several days, holding things in my hand, pushing things around, pulling them?One of the photographers?David Conover?said to me, "You should be a model. You?d easily earn five dollars an hour." Five dollars an hour! I was earning twenty dollars a week for ten hours a day and I had to stand on a concrete floor.

Bettie Page: "I don't know what they mean by an icon. I never thought of myself as being that. It seems strange to me. I was just modeling, thinking of as many different poses as possible. I made more money modeling than being a secretary. I had a lot of free time. You could go back to work after an absence of a few months. I couldn't do that as a secretary."

A career is wonderful, but you can't curl up with it on a cold winter's night. ~ Marilyn Monroe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I could think of a lot to do with that money!!
I think its great that a younger man is interested in you, even though you say that you can't go out with him, its still nice to have attention!
hugs,
Kathi