Tuesday, November 23, 2004

             adlernutcrackers.jpg (85003 bytes)

I went into Wal-Mart to get some birdseed and some hair gel, and to get some photo prints made for my children of when they were children. I found a blender with a glass jar that crushes ice for only $18.00, so I bought one for my daughter and put one on layaway for my mother.

It always seems to help when I am myself around sales people. I got a couple of free photo prints that didnt come out exactly right on a sheet that would have cost me the price of what I paid for the frames! The salesgirl looked at me and said: You are such a JOY! =.) 

The young man at the layaway department was very helpful and I joked with him, because a bunch of bicycles were blocking my way and also because his coworker seemed very serious even though she had the cutest dimples. He came around the counter and took out all of the bicycles that someone had placed there and I flirted with him that I would see him in December when I would return to take out my layaway.

Away I went, looking for mistletoe, but instead of finding mistletoe, my eyes were directed at a little girl nutcracker. I had never seen a nutcracker like it, so I went to look at it. There were several of them, so I pulled some from the back to compare them, so that I could get the best one if I decided to buy it. As I started pulling nutcrackers out of the way, I noticed that there were three more familiar faces, but there were only one of each. They were the characters for the Wizard of Oz! The ones above are kind of scary. The ones I found at Wal-Mart are adorable! They were $8.00 each, not bad for one, but to get them all, I would definitely need to go back to layaway!

I blushed all the way back to layaway. The young man was still working at the counter. I just had to come back and see you, I told him and we laughed. I told him that I was on my way outside the store when these nutcrackers caught my eye. He looked at them and exclaimed: Oh, it's the Wizard of Oz!! He had a big smile on his face as he took a closer look at them and then he said that Dorothy and the Tin Man seemed complete. But then he said that the Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion do not. I suppose I hadnt taken a really good look at them. All I knew is that there several of Dorothy but only one of each of the other characters. The Scarecrow is in good shape but it looks like he was supposed to be carrying something. The Cowardly Lion also looks like he was supposed to be carrying something. The stick on his back is broken, but you cannot tell because he wears a cloak.You would have to take a really good look at them to notice that there is anything wrong with them. And then, you know what the young man did? He charged me $8.00 for Dorothy and $8.00 for the Tin Man, but only $2.00 for the Scarecrow and $2.00 for the Cowardly Lion!

YES!! Instead of putting them on layaway, I purchased them instead. I placed them looking in the four directions in the middle of the dining room table. Oh, so fun!

As I was looking at the internet for similar pictures to put in my journal, it appears that some of these Wizard of Oz nutcrackers sell for about $250.00 each. Wow! I saved $980.00?!!!#  =.) 

Dont you just love it when God shows up and wants to surprise you?! It's as if he wanted me to have them... I think God gets a chuckle at surprising me, because He knows how I am going to react! =.) 

Please note that you will not be seeing me for awhile, because I will be leaving on vacation in the morning. Need to go pack and get everything ready. 

Ciao for now everybody! Happy Thanksgiving to one and all...

Besos,

  Win =.) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Win,
Glad you got the nutcrackers. I have been collecting them for years but I don't have any Wizard of Oz ones. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Love,
Kat

Anonymous said...

I bought Heather a Dorothy nutcracker to go with her birthday gift when I went to TN. I could not find a complete set anywhere,it seemed that no one had a lion!
You got a great deal!!

Hope you have a good time on vacation!

hugs,
Kathi