Sunday, September 12, 2004

Saint of the Gutters

This late entry should have been entered on September 5, 2004, the seventh anniversary of the death of a remarkable woman who had no money but did miracles for the poor of our time.

         

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat. ~ Mother Teresa

Mother Teresa (08/26/1910 - 09/05/1997), was a Roman Catholic nun who received the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize for her work with the poor. She became known as the saint of the gutters, because she devoted her lifetime to helping the poorest people in the slums.

 Mother Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta, India. She founded health clinics, orphanages, centers for the malnourished, rehabilitation centers, homes for alcoholics and drug addicts, treatment centers for AIDS patients, shelters for the homeless and battered women, and hospices for the dying in countries across the world.

Mother Teresa was greatly admired for her work by many people all over the world, including Princess Diana. Mother Teresa died one day before Princess Diana's funeral. 

"I am like a little pencil in God's hands. He does the thinking. He does the writing. The pencil has only to be allowed to be used." ~ Mother Teresa

"By blood and origin I am Albanian," she once said of herself. "My citizenship is Indian. I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the heart of Jesus." ~ Mother Teresa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mother Teresa was a remarkable person. I can't believe that it has been 7 years since she passed away.
Love,
Kat

Anonymous said...

Wonderful remembrance of a magnificent person!! rrose

Anonymous said...

It is hard to believe she has been gone for so long...but the wonderful thing is that her legacy lives on, as does the work she so lovingly started.
Tracy