Friday, June 6, 2008

Barbie Wants To Be Me

Where do I begin?! I was so nervous, because I didn’t know if it would happen. Will it happen? I prayed all the way there. Even if they say no, I told God, at least let me walk out of there with their expertise…

I was nervous as I filled out the paperwork. Would she say yes? Finally, the paperwork was complete… and then, she stood up and walked me to another room…

Monica pulled out some possibilities and had me try them on. I tried on three suits, but the one I chose was the first set that I tried on. It is a black and white patterned jacket and skirt. The pattern is so small that it makes the pattern look like a medium gray from far away. I tried it on with a black wool sleeveless tunic tank that was so long that I had to fold it under for it to measure at the hip. The skirt was not a good fit and a bit shorter for my taste but it was below the knee and it made the other pieces look balanced. Because I live in a Tropical climate, I wish there was no lining in the suit and I wish the tank top was in a cooler material, but I am happy with my choice.

Monica chose some black pointy Donna Lawrence sling-backs with a medium heel to go with the suit. I reached for a black Gucci shoulder bag that had a matching Gucci wallet inside of it. Monica seemed embarrassed that I chose the bag that she had donated.

All of these pieces were donated from other people’s closets. I asked Monica what jewelry I should wear with the suit and how I should wear my hair… She had me follow her to the back…

There were some hair products on display… some shampoo and conditioner for curly hair, a hair cream for blondes, and a hair spray made just for blondes. These were products that she recommended for me. Then she pulled out three nail products and asked me which one I liked best. After listening to her describe the products, I told her that I liked the pumice stone. Then, she pulled out a pearl necklace from the glass case. She said pearls are classic, and they would look good with my suit. Then, she put the products back and told me they were only for display.

When we were finished, we started to walk out the door, and then she said that we forgot to look at the new clothes that were donated for my town. The clothes she chose for me were from the used clothing section, but after being there all morning, I told her that what we had selected was fine.

So then, we went into the other room. Monica took inventory as she put each item into a cute little shopping bag. I didn’t know I was going to get the products and the pearl necklace and earrings, too. Then, she got up, because she had forgotten that they also had pantyhose. She chose a nude color for me and added them to the bag.

So that was my little Barbie make-over!

I got a black & white patterned suit, a black wool tank top, a black pair of sling-back shoes, a black Gucci shoulder bag with matching wallet, shampoo, conditioner, hair cream, hair spray, a pumice stone, and a pearl necklace with earrings.

All of these items free from Dress for Success.

All in all, I put complete trust into this woman’s taste… and she worked with my taste, too. It made me feel like a little doll to have someone else dress me. I felt so special and so pampered.

This was a wonderful experience, and I got a few dressing tips on how to choose clothes for the chunky little body that I have now. LOL

When I got home, I hemmed the sleeves on the jacket, tried the hair products, and the pumice stone, and filled the purse with my stuff so that I would be ready for my interview this morning.

The interview was scary. A panel is always scary. There were many questions and the testing was done in front of everybody. I was so nervous. I hate being nervous because sometimes you do not know what you are saying when you are nervous. LOL… Do I sound nervous to you?!!! I hope I did okay.

When I was walking out, I noticed that I had forgotten my purse. It was a good thing, too, because if I had left earlier, I never would have run into an old friend that I have not seen in four years. She was so happy to see me. It will be nice to have a friend there if they choose me to work for them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I do hope they select you ,I would love to see you in your new outfit...love Jan xx PS I used your graphic on my entry to day lol     http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeadie05/Serendipity/

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful!  The suit I always wore for my interviews was a very, very small blk/white weave with a velvet nero collar.  Sometimes I'd wear a black turtle neck or even an aqua sweater with a white turtle neck under!  I ALWAYS got the job!  So I called it my "Lucky Suit".  Trouble is, I couldn't wear it here in Florida so it sat in the back of my closet covered. Waiting, to be used for the next oppurtunity.  Now, Social Security says not to work, even though I wish I could.  So I donated it to a program like you described.  It still looked new.  The lining perfect.  I sure hope it works for the woman who got it.  Just like I'm sure you have the good wishes & backing of the woman who donated it for you.  You never know where your angel may be.  hugs...

Anonymous said...

Got my fingers and toes crossed for you Wini.  How nice to get the clothes for the interview.  Thinking good thoughts and praying.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!  You've been trying so hard.  I am glad you got a new outfit to wear and some words of advice to help you "wear it well."  I am sure God's plan will make itself apparent to you soon!

Veronica

journals.aol.com/vbonalesmd/emresident

Anonymous said...

How fantastic to be given a whole new outfit .You deserve to be treat like that  and I pray you get the job Winivere so so muchI bet  you looked fabulous.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

good for you:) when will you know about the job? Keeping you in prayer

Deb

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that you got a makeover and a Gucci wallet. I am a little jealous about the Gucci wallet, but if anyone deserves this it is you :)

I hope that you get a job real soon. Good Luck :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, a makeover:)

And, a friend.

I hope your job search turns up something good for you soon!

I've heard of Dress for Success, perhaps from you or maybe it's out here, too?  Not sure.

Sometimes it's good to have a panel, as what one person may miss, the other may catch, plus, they then ask thee same questions of all applicants.  It's a more balanced and fair process in some ways.  In time, in time.  Do you think you'd like working there?