Saturday, October 13, 2007

Oct12~ColumbusDay

Yesterday was October 12, but I could not add an entry to my journal and I am still having difficulties with this...

The United States celebrates Columbus Day on the second Monday of October, but October 12 is the correct day for Columbus Day.

Columbus Day has a special meaning for me, because my oldest daughter, Cecilia, was born on a Monday on Columbus Day, but her birthday falls on October 14. Now that is a big difference from this year's Columbus Day, which fell on October 8!

                          

I love these paintings of Christopher Columbus and Queen Isabella. Look at the beautiful work of marble, the garden, and the beautiful use of fabric. Although those were simplier times, surely, it was a time when people took great pride in their work, no matter how humble.

Christopher Columbus had a wild idea to travel west to reach the east! People must have thought that he was crazy, because at that time, people believed that the world was flat!

Queen Isabella was kind enough to provide the funding, the ships and the food for Christopher Columbus to make his voyage. The truth is that Isabella did not think that Columbus would make it, but funding for this project was very cheap, so she had nothing to lose and everything to gain if he did.

   In Corpus Christi, they have replicas of the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. You should see how small those boats really are! I cannot help but marvel at how brave Columbus was to face the perils of the sea in such tiny, little boats.

One thing that I find fascinating is that Columbus had enough food on his boats for a year. It is said that he had sardines, cheese, rice, beans, lentils, wine, water, anchovies, chick peas, honey, almonds, raisins, biscuits, garlic, oil, and vinegar. They didn't have refrigerators. I wish I had more information as to how they preserved all this food from going bad. These are items to consider when I go to the grocery store.

Now that I think of it, I should have named my older daughter Isabella, but the whole time I was pregnant with her, the only name I could think of was Cecilia. As it turned out, my younger daughter Angelica named her cherub Isabella Victoria and my best friend's name is Belle, so we definitely have Isabella  covered!

                                    

I do not know who made this image, because the signature is too small, but I wish they had made the water animated. I wish I had had a better frame to add to this image. I animated my name in the water.

If you look closely, you will see that the woman's reflection is of a Queen. I love images that show a different reflection of what could be or a reflection of what really is... I wish I had more PSP things to work with to make my images stand out, but perhaps someday, someone will send me some in my inbox. You just never know...

Several people have told me that I was a Queen in a previous life. Now, I do not know if that is true or how different people who do not know each other have told me the same thing. All I know is that I am royalty in this life, because I am a child of the King.

In spite of everything that has happened lately, and in spite of the fact that I am running out of money, they say that God is never late. I am  believing in your promises, Lord...

September and October bring a lot ofbirthdays to my family. Family birthdays in September were for my grandson Guy, daughter Angel, and my father (deceased). Birthdays in October included my grandfather (deceased), my best friend, and my daughter Cecilia's birthday will be tomorrow... So although I am not able to celebrate birthdays with any of them,  I decided that one way to remember them is to bake a cake. My oven is lopsided and it doesn't light at the top, but I hope the cake comes out o.k.

I haven't decorated a cake in a long time. It will be a challenge  for me to make the icing and to make some pretty flowers for it, but I am looking forward to expressing my creativity. That sounds like a fun thing to do tomorrow. =.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have PSP7 don't you? I thought you downloaded when I sent it to the group a while back. If not, let me know & I'll send it to you.
Hugs,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Win,
Thank you for sharing the information on Columbus. That was really interesting. Hope that your daughter has a wonderful birthday.
Love,
Kat

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your cake.....June:)

Anonymous said...

I'm real glad to hear that your Cecilia's Columbus Day is actually a different day than my dad's passing Columbus day.

Nice grocery list, well, except for the anchovies:)  Some of that needs little to keep it preserved, I would think.  One of the best foods my church provided this past week is a lentil soup.  I need to ask the woman if she made it herself, as my recipe never turns out quite like this one did.