Monday, October 22, 2007

And I Shall Wear Red

        

He was a 37-year-old father of three boys. He was on his way to meet his wife for lunch when he was abducted by five men who shoved him into a car in front of the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara, Mexico. The day was February 7, 1985. 

               

They searched for him far and wide, only to discover a month later that he had been only three blocks from the consolate. They found his body in a shallow grave with an audiotape of his ordeal~ two days of interrogations and beatings~ two days of moaning in pain, begging for mercy~ two days of pleading, "Don't hurt my family."

His jaw, nose and cheekbones were broken. His windpipe and skull were crushed. He was tortured and beaten to death with a cattle prod, a tire iron, and a broomstick. His body was found still gagged and bound with his eyes taped shut.

"I am only one person, but I want to make a difference." ~Kiki Camarena

Enrique "Kiki" Camarena grew up in a dirt-floored house with hopes and dreams of making a difference in the world. He worked his way through college and served in the United States Marines. He began his law enforcement career as a police officer and went on to become a Special Agent with the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). On the day of his abduction, Camarena was working undercover in Mexico, investigating a major drug cartel believed to include officers of the Mexican army, Mexican police, and the Mexican government.

 Kiki's son, Enrique Camarena, Jr is now a Deputy District Attorney

It cost Camarena his life to make a difference in the world and move a country, but his spirit continues to work towards making a difference through the lives of others who are making a difference in their schools and communites, wearing red ribbons and participating in red ribbon week activities this week to honor the  sacrifices made by Camarena and countless others who give their lives everyday in the fight against drug trafficking and drug abuse. 

If I were still at my job, I would be busy with red ribbon week activities, too. Like Camarena, I am only one person, but I, too, want to make a difference.

:::SUPPORT RED RIBBON WEEK::: Be a role-model for the leaders of tomorrow. Join in the fight against drugs and alcohol in America.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sad story this is.I too hope and pray every day there could be an end to all this.Many people in England have lost there lives in this way ,and I believe it has been drug related..I continue to hope and pray.Thankyou for sharing your story with us.Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Believe me...you do make a difference...you just don't know it.  Jo

Anonymous said...

Wow what a sad story.....June:(

Anonymous said...

What a great photo of you, Win!  And, have to admit, I'm not sure I've heard of this guy previously.