Sunday, October 7, 2007

Breast Cancer

 
Today's Helpful Hints:
 Self Breast Exam Guide
 
"I am going to give myself
a monthly self breast exam
and enjoy it!" ~ Queen Latifah
 
All joking aside, Breast Cancer is serious business. It does not care how old you are, and it does not care if you are a man or a woman. We are all at risk. It may feel funny to do our own breast exams on a regular basis, but early detection may save lives! I hope this guide will prove helpful. ~ Winivere

Just as your period ends (or at the same time each month if you do not have periods), check for any change in the normal look or feel of your breasts. Report any changes to your physician.

Step 1: In Front of the Mirror

Look for changes in the shape, size or appearance of your breasts. Look for dimpling, rash or puckering of the skin or nipple, nipple discharge or any  change from normal. Inspect your breasts in four steps:

* Hold arms at your sides

* Hold arms over your head

* Press your hands on your hips to tighten your chest muscles

* Bend forward with your hands on your hips

 

Step 2: Lying Down

Feel for a hard lump, thickening or any change in your breast tissue.

* Lie down on your back with a pillow under your right shoulder.

* Use the pads of the three middle fingers on your left hand to examine your right breast.

* Press using light, medium and firm pressure in a circular motion.

* Follow an up and down pattern.

* Feel for changes in your breast, above and below your collarbone and in your armpit area.

* Repeat on your left breast using your right hand.

Note: These steps may be repeated while bathing or showering using soapy hands.

©

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good reminder...that's for sharing....June:)

Anonymous said...

Yes it is serious, nice of you to include the steps for those that might not know. {{}}
I did my entry on the first of the month...also did breast ca tags in my Tag Journal...check them out.
Have a good Sunday.
Hugs,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, I shouldn't forget myself, eh?  What good am I to others, if I don't care for myself.  I've had two coworker friends die of breast cancer.  My cousin survived hers.  I should get into a monthly habit, and show this to my daughter.