Saturday, October 20, 2007

HappySweetestDay

You're the Sweetest!
 by Winivere
Happy  Sweetest Day!
 
The first Sweetest Day was planned by a committee of 12 confectioners chaired by candy maker C. C. Hartzell on October 8, 1921. The Sweetest Day in the Year Committee distributed over 20,000 boxes of candy to "newsboys, orphans, old folks, and the poor" in Cleveland, Ohio. The Sweetest Day in the Year Committee was assisted in the distribution of candy by some of the biggest movie stars of the day including Theda Bara and Ann Pennington. 
                                  
                by Wini vere
In 1940, another Sweetest Day was proclaimed on October 19. The promotional event was marked by the distribution of more than 10,000 boxes of candy by the Sweetest Day Committee. The candy was provided to 225 children in the chapel at the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children on October 17, 1940, and 600 boxes of candy were also delivered to the presidentsof the Jewish, Protestant and Catholic Big Sister groups of New York.       
                                               
 
          by Winivere
SWEETEST DAY:  an "occasion which offers all of us an opportunity to remember not only the sick, aged and orphaned, but also friends, relatives and associates whose helpfulness and kindness we have enjoyed." Sweetest Day is celebrated on the third Saturday of October.
 
                                                  
           
 
 
 
Thank You for being a Friend!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information.  I didn't know about Sweetest Day!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know there was such a day. Thank you and happy sweetest day to you too. (((((Hugs))))))

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Didn't know about sweetest day! Thanks for the info and Happy Sweetest Day to you my friend!!!!!!!!

Big Hugs
Angela

Anonymous said...

Hi so we find one another again.Thankyou for your comment.I aprreciate them all so much.Yes AOL are a pain at times.I have lost many URL's through them messing my pooter up etc.Favourites dissapearing from my lists .I could go on forever.I have heard of the sweetest day before.Lovely graphics you have installed.I have just been visiting The Mast Candy Store in the NC Mountains from someones elses blog in J/Land.Boy were there some sweets in that place Yummy once again LOL!!Have a lovely Sunday.I have you on my alerts again.Grrrrr AOL.Thankyou for your kind visit to me once more.Take Care God Bless Friend Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, i was wondering what sweetest day was about. I had seen a mention on another journal but no explanation.I hope your having a good sunday, and thank you for your visit to my journal.
love and hugs
Katie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the history lesson....I did not know that.....June:)