Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Tribute: Marilyn Monroe

moonlightHappy Birthday, Marilyn Monroe

June 1, 1926 - August 5, 1962

I knew I belonged to the public and to the world, not because I was talented or even beautiful, but because I had never belonged to anything or anyone else.

 

 

Height: 5 feet 5 1/2 inches
Weight: 140 lbs.

Writing hand:
Left
Measurements:
37-23-36 (Studio's Claim); 35-22-35 (Dressmaker's Claim)
Hair color: Blond
Eyes: Blue

High schools:
Van Nuys High School; University High School
Occupations: Model, Actress, Singer

Mother:
Gladys Baker
Half-brother:
Hermitt Jack Baker
Half-sister: Berniece Miracle

Marriages:
Jimmy Dougherty (1942-1946); Joe DiMaggio (1954); Arthur Miller (1956-1961)
Stepchildren: Joe DiMaggio, Jr., Jane and Robert Miller

Did you know?

In 1999, Marilyn was named the Number One Sex Star of the 20th Century by Playboy magazine

In 1999, Marilyn was voted the 'Sexiest Woman of the Century'by People Magazine.

Issued on June 1, 1995, Marilyn was featured on a 32¢ US commemorative postage stamp.

Elton John recorded the song "Candle in the Wind" as a tribute to Marilyn Monroe.

In December 1953, she was the Playboy "Sweetheart" of the Month.

In February 1953, Marilyn was named the “The Most Advertised Girl in the World” by the Advertising Association of the West.

She was crowned Miss California Artichoke Queen in 1947.

In 1946, she began using the stage name Marilyn Monroe, but did not legally change her name until February 23, 1956.

Marilyn Monroe married Joe DiMaggio in San Francisco City Hall.

Marilyn Monroe was nominated for the 1956 British Academy Award for "Best Foreign Actress" in the Seven Year Itch.

 

1962 Something's to Give (never completed)    Ellen Arden

1961 The Misfits   Roslyn Taber  

1960 Let's Make Love   Amanda Dell  

1959 Some Like It Hot   Sugar Kane

1957 The Prince and the Showgirl   Elsie Marina  

1956 Bus Stop   Cherie  

1955 The Seven Year Itch   The Girl  

1954 River of No Return   Kay Weston  

1954 There's No Business Like Show Business   Vicky  

1953 How to Marry a Millionaire   Pola Debevoise  

1953 Gentlemen Prefer Blondes   Lorelei Lee

1953 Niagara   Rose Loomis  

1952 Don't Bother to Knock   Nell Forbes  

1952 We're Not Married!   Anabel Norris  

1952 Clash by Night   Peggy

1952 Monkey Business   Lois Laurel

1952 O. Henry's Full House   Streetwalker  

1951 As Young as You Feel   Harriet  

1951 Hometown Story   Iris Martin  

1951 Let's Make It Legal   Joyce Mannering  

1951 Love Nest   Roberta Stevens  

1950 All About Eve   Claudia Caswell  

1950 The Asphalt Jungle   Angela Phinlay  

1950 Love Happy   Grunion's Client

1950 The Fireball   Polly  

1950 Right Cross   uncredited  

1950 A Ticket to Tomahawk   Clara

1949 Ladies of the Chorus   Peggy Martin  

1948 Dangerous Years   Evie

1948 Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay!   uncredited

1947 The Shocking Miss Pilgrim   uncredited

Marilyn MonroeNo one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they are pretty, even if they aren't.

The body is meant to be seen, not all covered up.

I dont care about money. I just want to be wonderful.

I've been on a calendar, but never on time.

Being a sex symbol is a heavy load to carry, especially when one is tired, hurt and bewildered.

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.

I used to think as I looked out on the Hollywood night, 'There must be thousands of girls sitting alone like me, dreaming of becoming a movie star. But I'm not going to worry about them. I'm dreaming the hardest.'

I learned to walk as a baby and I haven't had a lesson since.

I don't want to play sex roles any more. I'm tired of being known as the girl with the shape.

I am invariably late for appointments--sometimes as much as two hours. I've tried to change my ways but the things that make me late are too strong, and too pleasing.

[Hollywood is] a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.

I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one.

Everybody is always tugging at you. They'd all like a sort of chunk out of you. I don' think they realize it, but it's like 'grrr do this, grr do that...' But you do want to stay intact--intact and on two feet.

It stirs up envy, fame does. People...feel fame gives them some kind of privilege to walk up to you and say anything to you--and it won't hurt your feelings--like it's happening to your clothing.

I want to grow old without facelifts. I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I have made.

Marilyn Monroe's starWith fame, you know, you can read about yourself, somebody else's ideas about you, but what's important is how you feel about yourself--for survival and living day to day with what comes up.

 

Marilyn Monroe would have been 79 years old today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting facts on Marilyn. Thanks for sharing!
hugs,
Kathi