Sunday, April 17, 2005

Como La Flor

                        

     Selena Quintanilla-Perez   

                                16Apr1971 - 31Mar1995

I had already completed yesterday's entry when I realized that it was April 16th... Selena's birthday. 

What I remember most about Selena was her spunk and how humble she was. In spite of her fame and her wealth, Selena and her family continued to live in the poorest hispanic neighborhood in Corpus Christi, Texas. I ran into her downtown a couple of times because we used to go to the same store to look at the shoes. The shoes at that store were very funky. We would try on different pairs and just laugh. She had such a beautiful laugh, and like me, she was always smiling. People always think that I havent a care in the world because I am always smiling, but like me, I am sure she must have had her moments..

                                     

What people dont mention about Selena is that she did a lot for the community. I dont know why people dont recognize the little things. Because she was always on the road, Selena didnt get a chance to live a normal childhood. She received her high school diploma through themail. Because of this, she visited nearby schools to perform and to encourage children to stay in school. She also played softball to raise money for charity. Another thing that you might not know is that Selena was a pin up girl for Coca~Cola. She wore a size 4.

                                                       

I was surprised that Selena's character and mine are very much alike. The difference is that I have no fame or wealth! =.) Selena liked to design clothing and her favorite flower was the white rose. Selena cut her own grass, pushing an ordinary lawn mower, even after she could afford to get someone to cut it for her. What I was most surprised to hear is that, whenever she saw an elderly lady eating by herself, she would pick up the bill anonymously. I thought I was the only one who did that. It's rare to find someone famous with whom you can have so many things in common. She was just a girl with a dream. =.)

Selena opened a lot of doors for women in the music industry. She is affectionately remembered as the white rose of the latin community, who like a flower, gave us so much love through her music and her song. 

Statue of Selena overlooking the Corpus Christi bay

Selena is a reflection of the vibrant, creative woman that I was in my youth. I need to get out my sewing machine and my art, and I need to allow my heart to love again.

No comments: