Monday, February 9, 2004

What is Miracles Room

I live a few minutes from the Mexican border. I attend the Basilica of the Virgin of San Juan in San Juan, Texas. It is a national shrine. The Virgin of San Juan is known as the virgin of the Mexican people, as this is a replica of the shrine in Mexico. In the church, there are different colors for different times during the year. The small statue of the Virgin is placed very high. I do not know how they get her down to change her clothes. The small statue has human hair. People make their petitions to the blessed mother and make promises to come from their lands to visit her shrine, to give thanks, and to leave momentos as proof of the miracles that have occurred with her intercession. The shrine is considered a very sacred place. Those momentos are put into the Miracles Room for the unbelievers and to give others hope. I have added the shrine's website under the favorite links section of this journal if you want to read up on the history.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This makes me want to make a trip to Texas---I am going to give it a great deal of thought. Is this in all Catholic churches?--Mary