Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Cherish, Dream, Live!

 
This week,
the Challengez have been working with Masks.
I have already completed all five,
so adding entries for the next few days
will be easy! Yay
Hope you like this one.
I think it looks very soft & very oriental.
 
The following is one of the Questions in our graphic group for this week... Thought I would share...
 
Have you ever taken lessons in anything?
 
A lot of what I have learned is
self-taught  or by trial & error
but I will share a story...
When I was a child,
one of my schoolmates invited me
to go across the street from the school to her church.
The girls would take piano lessons there for free.
The teacher invited me to sit down
on the piano bench with her & she taught me a little bit.
I thought it was only going to be for that one time,
but she told me to come back twice a week.
It was hard for me to understand why my classmates
were running around instead of practicing.
I suppose it was because they could afford
to have a piano in their homes.
I could have run around, too, but I sat down
to practice instead.
I was only with her for about a month
when she showed on my doorstep!
She came out of a pretty car with her husband.
I was surprised because Anglos never came
into our poor neighborhood.
She was tearful when she told me that
she wouldn't be able to continue teaching me piano
because she was losing her eyesight.
She said that she felt that she had to come
to tell me in person,
because unlike my schoolmates
who spent their time playing around,
I was her best pupil,
 because I was very dedicated to learning.
She said that of all her pupils,
she would miss me the most.
 
Adults were always offering me jobs when I was a child
because they all saw how responsible I was (am)...
Wish it were that easy to find a job now!
 
It is good to have nice memories
for when days are not so bright.
~quote from Sybil =.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a delightful memory.  And how encouraging for you, even though she couldn't teach anymore.  Did you continue taking piano lessons?
I reall like that quote.

hugs, Bethe

Anonymous said...

You have always been a special kind of person my dear Win.  Take care.  I do love your tag today..can I snag it please ?   Love  sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

That is a great tag Wini (I think I already told you that before though).  AND, of course, I read your answer to the question in the group.  Sooooo, you have always been creative and focused?  Can't say I am the same, but that's what makes the world go 'round I guess.  Love ya.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Your dedication WILL pay off, Win.  It will.

And, perhaps some aspect of your developing graphic skills will pay off in a job, too, who knows?!

This one is really neat with all the depth and layers.  I suppose that's what a mask is???