Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Palm Sunday

 
This past Sunday was the start of Holy Week. We remember Palm Sunday as the day that Jesus entered the city of Jerusalem on a donkey. People laid palm branches on the road before him and greeted him as the long-awaited Messiah, shouting, "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord!"
 
  In ancient Roman times, palms were a symbol of Honor and Victory. Some crowns were made from palm leaves, and when a person of honor returned from war or a King came into town, palms were laid on the road before them, much as people today lay out a red carpet. 
 
   It is Unfortunate that some people only show up to church on Christmas and Easter... Going to church on Sunday is supposed to give one strength for the rest of the week, but people who do not attend church regularly miss out on the church's teachings and traditions. I think this is sad, because they are missing out...
 
  Some people play with the leaves, braid them into different shapes, etc, but after that, heaven knows what they do with them. Some people discard the palm leaves as soon as they turn brown. It is a shame that fewer and fewer people fail to recognize the traditions of the church...
 
 Remember that before you receive the palms, they are blessed and consecrated before God as a symbol of our Faith... When you receive the palm leaves, arrange them into a cross and put the palm cross over the front door on the outside of the door as a symbol of your Faith and trust in God...  Doing this, symbolizes that you welcome Christ and peace into your home, it is a symbol of Honor and Victory for the lives of the people who live there, and because Christ goes before you, it is also supposed to help to keep evil out.... 
 
  I lost my job last Tuesday. It is no accident that God freed me just in time for Holy Week. In Texas, I am supposed to receive my final paycheck by the sixth day. It is already the seventh day and I have not received anything...
 
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice entry Wini.  Holy week has turned into bunny rabbits, eggs and candy.  I must remember to talk to my grandkids and tell them the story.  I do it at Christmas and Easter.  It is (sadly) the only Christian training they get.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I do hope you get your pay check ,that job was doomed from start to finish ,Loved the Easter story and graphics ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

May you receive that check soon!

I save the palm crosses we get, but there's no way to put them on our flat metal doors.  I do, however, put them elsewhere.

My coworker's dad passed on Friday evening, and his services today.  She had taken leave this week and next, and felt that was part of God's timing, too.

I am trying to find a church for Sunday, even if it's a mountaintop service.

I'm churchless right now and that's bugging me.

Anonymous said...

Hope you receive your paycheck soon xx

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife