Sunday, July 9, 2006

Stop the Obsession

"You couldnt tell where heaven stops and the earth begins. It was just beautiful, Jenny." ~ from the movie, Forrest Gump, starring Tom Hanks.

Steve Vaught, 40, began his 3,000 mile walk from his California home to Manhattan, New York, on April 10, 2005. When he started his walk, he weighed in at 410 lbs. Vaught was suffering from depression after accidentally killing two pedestrians while he was driving 15 years ago. Vaught didnt measure his food or use a pedometer to measure his steps. As of May 2006, Vaught was seen taking a short rest in New Jersey, as he continued his journey to New York at 100 lbs lighter. Steve has accomplished his goal to walk across America. He is now at his home with his family in California.

                                Image: Man finishes cross-country walk

"This is not about obsessing about numbers, or times, or dates, or miles. It's just about going on a walk and sort of having time to get things straight." ~ Steve Vaught

 

What an inspirational story! Is this where Forrest Gump got his inspiration to run across America? To read through Vaught's journey and see more pictures of his adventure, you can flip over to his website: http://thefatmanwalking.com/

Like I have been saying, it's not about the numbers. It's about doing the work: not overeating, drinking plenty of fluids, exercising at least 15 minutes a day. I used to obsess over what to eat when my problem had nothing to do with what I was eating. My problem was that I was eating too much for my little body. My problem was about choosing to allow my problems to eat me.  

My journey of self-discovery has taught me that I must be gentler with myself. My journey has taught me that I must treat myself as well as I treat other people. My journey has taught me that I need to stop putting myself last. My journey has taught me that it is okay to put myself first.

I am a long way from reaching my ideal weight, but I have reached my life change.

It takes courage to go from SAFE to SENSATIONAL.

God, grant me the wisdom to discover the right, the will to choose it, and the strength to make it endure. ~King Arthur of Camelot

    Win =.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read about Steve's journey a few weeks ago.  That is awesome.  Something I'd like to do.  Our self discovery journeys are teaching us alot.  That's for sure.  Hugs,  Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/RoadToSuccess

Anonymous said...

INSPIRATION IS TRULY ALL AROUND US.  I HAVE LEARNED MUCH FROM CHRONICLING EVENTS IN MY LIFE HERE IN J-LAND.  GETTING FEEDBACK FROM YOU AND OTHERS HAS MADE THIS  PATH OF SELF-DISCOVERY  MORE REWARDING. MANY OF MY MOMENTS OF CLARITY HAPPENED WHILE I WAS READING FROM YOUR JOURNAL, WIN.  I THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME SEE THAT BEING GENTLER WITH MYSELF IS FAR MORE THAN A LUXURY, IT IS A NECESSITY FOR THE BETTER LIFE I AM CREATING.