Saturday, July 15, 2006

Beautiful, Part II.

What about your days as a model? What was that like?

During my first two years of college, people would see me rushing, always rushing, to get from one place to another. Little did they know that I had no car and that I worked three jobs besides attending college. 

College brought a new independence. There was no criticial mother around to make me feel inferior. Something about this independence changed my life. I felt more confident, and I suddenly felt better about my body. I lived off campus, because the dorms were too expensive, so walking really helped to shape my body but I would also take time to jog around the track a few days a week. 

Some of the athletes would notice me running. Some of the boys at school would notice me rushing from one place to another. I think I was noticed because I flashed by and then I was gone. Sometimes the boys would follow me home from school, but I walked too fast for them to keep up with me. 

Betsey Johnson started making patterns for Butterick, so I started sewing her fashions. Other designers that I liked were Willi Smith and John Kloss. Unlike other students who dressed like hippies, I always looked distinctfully different, because I always looked dressed up. Cute little flippy skirts, light green softly flowered hiphugger pants, white eyelet jacket, long flowered skirt with matching midriff blouse with 3/4 sleeves and ruffles, flowered cotton two piece short skirt suits. I guess I was more of a flower child. (blush) I wish I had saved my clothes, but I do have a few of the Betsey Johnson patterns from that time.

                 This was the only pattern I could find in the Internet. I made the short pink skirtset on the right. The sleeve is just a ruffle all around. I sewed it up in purple polyester knit. It had a zipper on the side which made my waist seem even smaller. I loved the easy to care for fabric. No ironing! In winter, I would wear the top with a white blouse underneath and a grayand lavender plaid granny skirt, also handmade from other patterns.

One day when I was in the art building, an art teacher "discovered" me. He asked me to model for the beginner's art class. I refused to model in the nude, but a lot of what I wore was skimpy enough, i.e. hiphugger shorts, midriff tops with long flowing skirts, drapey things. Modeling for the beginner's class was tough work, because I had to pose in the same pose for three hours with a break after an hour and a half, but it somehow came natural to me. I can imagine how Norma Jeane must have felt, because unlike the other models, I could stay still for an hour and a half.

I was very flattered that the art teacher wanted me to model for his class. I never dreamed that a short girl could be a model.

I remember being very careful about what colors I was going to wear. I remember being very selelctive about what I wore to model in. When I got to the class, however, it didnt matter what colors I wore, because the students always changed the colors and made their own interpretation. I remember how they looked at me, as if they were genuinely interested in what they were painting. I remember how they would take me by the hand to help me down from the platform. I remember their look of admiration, as one of the young men said, "There is nothing wrong with her. She's absolutely perfect." Those words were like magic, because I had always thought there was definitely something wrong with me.That young man made me feel respected and admired. I should have dated him!!!

I wish I had asked some of the students for one of their paintings. Their interpretation of me was wonderful. They saw me in an entirely different light than I saw myself.

My roommate would tell me that sometimes I would look like I was posing in my sleep. I thought that was funny. It seems that I always dream about work.

So what was it like to be a model? It was wonderful.

PS... Four more days until my birthday. I hope I am finished with my work so I can take a few days off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still waiting on a recent pic of you! Would like to put a fae with the name! ;)
I see you haven't got your album set up yet.
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Buying a digital camera is on my list but I dont know when that will happen. Yes, I dont have my album set up yet. I havent figured out how to do it yet.

Anonymous said...

Me too !! I want to see a picture!

hugs,
Ellen