Monday, June 21, 2004

Step 2: Learning to Love Yourself Is The Greatest Gift of All

...for better or worse, our future will be determined in large part by our dreams and by the struggle to make them real. -Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

This week I will center on the following:

1. Spend time with my childhood picture. This week, I will take a few minutes every day to hug the little girl and tell her that I love her and that I am going to help her to be the woman she wants to be.

2. Food. This week, I will make friends with food. I will think about the foods I used to love as a child and hopefully incorporate those foods into my diet this week. I will eat what I want, but... I will sit down to eat at the dining room table, I will give thanks to God for the meal that He has prepared before me. I will take time to enjoy my food and to savor what I am eating. I will pay special attention to the kind of foods that I love and I will pay special attention to the foods I have selected to be in my kitchen, in my refrigerator, and in my everyday life. Did my thoughts about food change when I became an adult? No food or drink after 7 p.m.

3. Water. Divide your weight by 2. This is how much water your body needs. I am at 153 lbs; therefore, I will need to drink 76oz of water daily. This week, I might not be able to drink the recommended 76 ounces, but my goal will be to get as close to it as I can. Did I like water when I was a child? How have my views about water changed when I became an adult?

4. Exercise. This week, I will walk for at least 10 minutes every day. When I was a child, did I like to go out and play? How have my views about exercise changed when I became an adult?

5. Supplements. Because I have problems with my joints and my thyroid, my body needs extra help that may not be found in the foods I eat. Therefore, this week, I will add the following supplements: multi-vitamin, calcium, & total greens.

6. Pamper myself. This week, I will think of things I used to enjoy as a child. This week, I will take myself to the park and swing on the swings. I will re-read my favorite children's book. I will take time to draw and to color.

7. Clothes. This week, I will pay attention to what clothes I wear the most and ask myself why I like them. Are they the most flattering for my figure or are theyjust a cover-up? What were my favorite clothes as a child? What were my favorite colors? I will wear those favorite colors this week.

8. Support. This week, I will take time to spend with God. I will create my sacred space. I will seek to find the support within myself by continuing to write in my journal. I will seek the support of my AOL buddies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

190 t0 153!!!!!!    Loving your progress.  I hit a period of self distruction and have gained more weight, seeing your progress I will proceed with lovin' myself.  I have been going through pain as you are.  Some days are just hard to get through.  I guess it is time to get weight off and give my joints some relief. although the pain is still there when the weight is off at least I'll feel better emotionaly--Right??  Thanks for hanging on and you are winning the war--Mary

Anonymous said...

Your doing so well with the weight loss. Keep going strong!

Anonymous said...

I love your lists. Not only do they make me think but they give me direction in this quest for better health. Thanks for sharing. You have done so well losing already. Keep it up:)

Anonymous said...

I love your list.  I wanted to print it out and follow it myself, but I was afraid you might think I was stealing your idea again!  LOL...just kidding.  What a good idea, spending time with the child you used to be.  I think we all should do this once in a while.