Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Shopping in My Own Closet

  Winning With Win
Helpful Hints
 
 
Today's Helpful Tips:
 
"Shopping"
in
My Own Closet
 
 
At my last job, I had to wear "school spirit" shirts, so now that I will be looking for work, I am at a loss as to what to wear. I decided to do some research on "Dressing for Success." This is what I found...
 
         
 
Style~ It should be simple. This makes sense, because you are able to get more looks if the style is simple and unadorned, just by changing your accessories. 
 
Skirt Length~ Skirts should be below the knee. I really do not like anything that is too short, because it is very uncomfortable, especially when you have to bend and reach at your job. No woman is made to be like a paper doll that doesn't move. Clothes should be able to move with you and a short skirt will cause you problems while you work, because you will be too busy tugging at it and pulling it down, which by the way, is also bad for the fabric.
 
Colors~ Grays, blues, camel, dark brown, beige, maroon, black. To that list, I would add white, burgundy and olive. These colors may seem boring, but they are classic, simple colors that lend themselves to versatility. 
 
Colors to Avoid~ Anything pastel, bright, bold, exotic, or sharply contrasting. Stay away from pink, yellow, green, red, orange, salmon, mustard.
 
I was surprised to see green and red on this list. I would say that all this color mess has to do with hue. Dark colors are always best, because they do not look dirty the way lighter colors do, and if you shop correctly, you can throw all of your work clothes together when you do the wash!! That saves money and time.
 
Material~ materials should not cling, shine, or make noise. To this I would add that washable fabrics are best.
 
Blouses~ White blouses are best... crisp cotton or silk. Solid colors are best. Avoid too many rufflesand frills. Avoid too much lace. Personally, I like feminine touches, but I can see that I will need to add some more classic styles.
 
Shoes~ Plain dark pumps~ Closed heels and toes with 1-1/2" heels. This is a hard one for me, because designers continue to make shoes taller and taller.   Through research, I have discovered that a woman should never wear flats. A slight heel makes you look slimmer.  Shoes with 2" heels and good arch support are actually better for your feet. I still have not found the perfect work shoe. 
 
Hosiery~ Always wear hose and make sure they are in a natural color. This is a hard one for the Valley, because the weather is always so hot, but pantyhose actually smooth you out and make you look slimmer. Wearing pantyhose also makes you look "dressed."
 
Underwear~ This is a must. A good bra is essential. Beware of panty lines if wearing light colored clothes. When wearing white pants, always wear panties that are as close to your skin color as possible.
 
Jewelry~ Jewelry should not be the center of attention and jewelry should not make noise. When in doubt, less is more. 
 
I can understand what they mean when they talk about jewelry, but jewelry is a great look changer. So are scarves and belts.   
 
My first priority in looking for work will be to sign up with the temporary agencies. I will, however, need appropriate clothing for when I am called out. I doubt that "spirit shirts" will be the way to go...
 
I thought about going to the Fashion Bug to see if they have anything that might work, but I need to look through my own closet first to see if there are any clothes in there that might work.
 
Judging from the Dress for Success list above, the choices from my closet are very limited. Although I have a lot of clothes, many of them are "mistakes" that I need to sort through and donate to charity.
 
A majority of my clothes are clothes that I cannot fit into, because I have gained too much weight. I know! I will need to work on weight loss...  After all that vomiting last night, I went to bed hungry. This morning, I have been afraid to eat anything solid, but I think I will make myself something good for lunch.
 
I do have a couple of pant outfits that might work temporarily, but I will need to hem the pants, because they are too long. That means that I will need to get out my sewing machine. They are more for a "casual Friday," but I would say they are dressy enough for temporary work.
 
 
A woman stopped by unannounced at her son's house.

She knocked on the door then immediately walked in. She was shocked to
see her daughter-in-law lying on the couch, totally naked. Soft music
was playing, and the aroma of perfume filled the room.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"I'm waiting for Justin to come home from work," the daughter-in-law
answered.

"But you're naked!" the mother-in-law exclaimed.

"This is my love dress," the daughter-in-law explained.

"Love dress? But you're naked!"

"Justin loves me to wear this dress," she explained. "Every time he
sees me in this dress, he instantly becomes romantic and ravages me for
hours."

The mother-in-law left. When she got home she undressed, showered, put
on her best perfume, dimmed the lights, put on a romantic CD, and laid
on the couch waiting for her husband to arrive.

Finally, her husband came home. He walked in and saw her laying there so
provocatively. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"This is my love dress," she whispered, sensually.

"Needs ironing," he said, "What's for dinner?"

 
 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't read what you have written, it's all jumbled right now, but I want her figure!  lol :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, you'r ecorrect -- now I can read this!  Great advice, which could be tailored to the type of work and the environment.  Also, some beige and cream blouses may work better with the coloring for some people, whereas they'd wash me out, so actual white works best for me like they suggest.  I do wear a fair bit of pinks and greens.  I love the colors and they work well for me.  Various shades of pink can pair nicely with, say, grey, or black, for example.   I have heard that one should dress for the position one is aiming for, not the one she has.  I also never wore pants when I worked downtown (DC), but dresses or skirts, as that was what the more established, professional women in my company were wearing.  My current position is in a casual office, and sometimes my interests could have lent itself to working in woods so obviously I'd need to look professional but able to, say, hike (khakis and polos might work there, depending).   Jewelry -- I have heard similarly, and to get dressed, then take off one piece of jewelry to look less busy, give a cleaner feel.  I didn't follow that today:)  Anyway, you've got me thinking again, too!  :)  I really like the idea of going through one's own closet first, too.  Give away to charity, purge, saves resources, plus perhaps a classic something IS hidden and still fits.  :)  (I'd still like her figure.)