Friday, June 8, 2007

Goddess of Love & Beauty

                                         


Hey Venus oh Venus
Venus if you will
Please send a little girl for me to thrill
A girl who wants my kisses and my arms
A girl with all the charms of you

Venus make her fair
And lovely girl with sunlight in her hair
And take the brightest stars off in the sky
And place them her eyes for me
Venus goddess of love that you are
Surely the things that I ask
Can't be to great a task

Venus if you do
I promise that I always could be true
I'll giver all the love like had to give
As long as we both shall live

Venus goddess of love that you are
Surely the things that I ask
Can be to great a task

Venus if you do
I promise that I always will be true
I'll give her all the love I have to give
As long as we both shall live

Hey Venus oh Venus
Make my wish come true



Ah... Friday... TGIF as some people say.... Sweet, sweet Friday, what have I done to desert you?!

 

When I was working, all of my days were work days.... Yes, all of my days... even Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. When I wasn't at work, I was thinking about work. I was planning my work for the following week. All my days were WORK...

 

Is it any wonder then, that I feel guilty about not doing very much this week?! I have spent the entire week being sick.

 

It has taken me a whole week to empty my car of all the boxes that I have from work... My goodness!! How many boxes were in there?!! And that is not counting all the boxes that are hidden in my closets with even more stuff from work. It is no wonder that my love life has had to be put on hold for the past ten years.

 

                       

 

As a single person, I put my entire self into my work. Work is my bread and butter. Work is what pays my bills. I feel more confident working than I do having a man to share my life with. Having a man in my life is not as important to me as having a job.

 

Instead of doing the minimum, I give myself so much work that I get behind in my work. I get behind in my work, so I do not make time for exercise and eating properly. I do not make time for exercise and eating properly, so I gain weight. I gain weight, so I have to wear "clothes that cover" instead of "clothes that show off my assets." Wearing the clothes that cover remind me of what lies underneath my clothes. Knowing what lies underneath my clothes makes me fearful of meeting someone who will see what I have allowed to happen to my body...

 

Many men and women are afraid of being alone. As for myself, I know that I do not need a man to complete me. For me, to have someone to have sex with is not enough. That should not be what sharing your life is all about...

 

I know that I have managed to do a lot in my lifetime, but I do believe that if I had had someone in my life to encourage me or even just to hold me, I would have gotten so much further in life. That is something that I have never had, not even from my mother. It is funny how my friends are so much kinder than my own family. Friends are God's way of apologizing for family... and I might add: for irresponsible no good husbands, too!

 

It is somewhat ironic that Marilyn Monroe is often portrayed as Venus, the Goddess of Love. Marilyn had sex, but she never had a love life. Men wanted to be with her, but they never wanted to just love her. It is hard to believe that someone as beautiful as Marilyn never attracted the right kind of man.

 

Do all women who have been sexually abused  attract men who are only interested in using them as a sex object?  Is there something about us that pulls the wrong men to us? Is there something that we failed to learn or is this just something that is out of our control?

 

Even Venus, whowas the Goddess of Love, never had true happiness, because she was in love with Mars, the God of War, but she was married to the ugly God Vulcan. 

 

Marilyn might not have been the Goddess of Love, but she was a true Goddess of Beauty. Her beauty routines were simple enough for anyone to do and they did not cost much money.

 

When Marilyn was at home, she would take off the makeup, rinse her face 15 times with cold water, and apply olive oil to her face. Sometimes, she would use vaseline or cold cream. She would take ice baths and use Nivea Skin Moisturizing Lotion for her body.

 

For breakfast, she would break two raw eggs and beat them into a glass of hot milk. For exercise, she would jog, do yoga, and lift free weights.

 

I wrote down her diet somewhere, but I do not remember where I put it. Maybe now that I am going through boxes, I will be able to find it.

 

Although Marilyn was famous, she was very practical because she never forgot where she came from. Do you know that when she needed something fancy to wear, she would borrow something from the studio?! It wasn't Marilyn Monroe in her apartment or her home in Brentwood. It was Norma Jeane...

 

"It isn't Marilyn Monroe in the tub but Norma Jeane. I'm giving Norma Jeane a treat. She used to have to bathe in water as clean and transparent as a pane of glass. And it seemsthat NormaJeane can't get enough of fresh bath water that smells like perfume. "

When I was a little girl, we didn't have a modern bathroom. We had to get water from the well, bring the bucket inside and put it on the stove to warm up the water. We would get into a small round tub and pour water on ourselves with a plastic glass. This is why I always make sure that there is a bathtub wherever I live. I love the luxury of being able to get into a tub full of water that is not as transparent as glass. I love getting into a tub full of bath water that smells like perfume.

 

Marilyn knew that although she was Marilyn, she was still Norma Jeane inside... the Norma Jeane who was abandoned... the Norma Jeane who never knew her father... the Norma Jeane who was sexually abused as a child... the Norma Jeane who was pushed around from one place to another... the Norma Jeane that nobody wanted... the Norma Jeane that had to get married young so that she wouldn't have to go to still another orphanage... the Norma Jeane who knew pain and suffering... the Norma Jeane who was stuck in a Glass Box all of her own...

 

Marilyn was the part of her that was not defenseless. Marilyn was the part of her that fought to get her out of poverty. Marilyn was the "make belief" that got her through her days, but when all was done, she was still Norma Jeane...

 

"You sit alone. It's night outside. Automobiles roll Sunset Blvd like an endless string of beetles. Their rubber tires make a purring, high-class noise. You're hungry and you say: It's not good for my waistline to eat. There's nothing finer than a washboard belly."

 

Marilyn knew that it was important to take care of your inner child. We must always take care of our inner child.

 

Today.... I will sort through more boxes, but I will remember to keep the things that make my inner child happy. I will put all of my creative things together, and I will allow myself some time to just sit down and color. I will prepare a healthy meal for lunch, but I will add an animal cookie or two. Today, I will cherish the child within... 

 

" I can walk for hours and enjoy it." ~ Marilyn Monroe

 

Tonight... I will go for a walk in the moonlight. I will sit outside on the balcony and pay close attention to the "noises of the city." I will pour myself into "fresh bath water that smells like perfume." I will go to bed hungry and remind myself that there is nothing finer than a washboard belly... Tonight, I will nourish my soul...

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You asked, "Do all women who have been sexually abused attract men who are only interested in using them as a sex object?" As a survivor of sexual abuse and rape, I can honestly answer no to this question.  I believe it is just something out of our control.  To find a love life, you must make time.  You need to make time for yourself to work on yourself  I hope that you can and in the end, you will find happiness yo so deserve.
Hugs,
D