Tuesday, December 7, 2004

Hypothyroidism

As requested, this entry is dedicated to the reader who raised questions regarding my problems with hypothyroidism...

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism around 1990, but I believe that I have had it since I was about 8 years old, primarily because I have had problems with my throat for as long as I can remember. When I was 10 years old, the doctor removed my tonsils, because he thought that was the problem, but the problems with my throat continue to this day and my immune system continues to be very low. Hypothyroidism can lead to mental retardation in babies. I am fortunate that I am not mentally retarded.

Hypothyroidism develops when the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. The thyroid hormone regulates your metabolic rate, or the way your body uses energy. The thyroid gland also regulates many of your body systems, so a lack of this hormone can greatly affect many of your body systems and may keep them from functioning properly. 

Illustration of The thyroid gland

The primary symptom that you are concerned about is gaining weight with little or no extra effort... gaining weight no matter how much exercise and dieting you do, but other symptoms also include extreme fatigue, memory loss and/or forgetting things, constipation, dry skin, difficulty tolerating extreme changes in temperatures, your hair gets dry and thinner, and problems with your period lasting more than 5 days. Because I would bleed for approximately 28 to 29 days out of the month, I had to have my uterus removed, so I havent had a period since I was about 26 years old.

Many doctors have told me that I will never lose weight as long as I have thyroid problems. They have told me that I will have to take thyroid medications the rest of my life. Some symptoms I can ignore, but the extreme exhaustion is the greatest obstacle to bear. Hypothyroidism can lead to death if the extreme weakness and fatigue progresses to a lack of consciousness (coma).

Because my faith is strong, I try not to accept many of my health problems, but I do not recommend that for everyone, because not everybody has a strong faith in God. I believe in the Power of the Mind and I believe in the Power of the Lord. After my car accident, doctors told me that I would never walk again, but I believe that I died and came back to life for a reason. I have been close to death more times than I can remember. I am living proof that you CAN lose weight with a thyroid problem. I cannot count the times that I have proved doctors wrong time and time again and my problems with my thyroid are no exception.

Trying to lose weight with hypothyroidism is very difficult. The secret to any weight loss program is to keep at it. Exercising doesnt have to be extreme, but it should be a part of any weight-loss program. Walking works for me, but since the problems with my back, I havent been able to return to my moonlit walks. I am trying to find the belt people use to lift heavy things to see if using the belt will help me to return to walking but I havent found it yet and I am not sure if it will work because I also have arthritis in my hip joints.

Diet and exercise will forever be a way of life for me. Eating healthy is important and lowering your cholesterol is important, a double whammy for me, because I also have problems with my heart. Foods rich in good cholesterol are a good choice; foods rich in bad cholesterol are not. I also have IBS and acid reflux, so I also have to limit foods that have too much acid.

In the past, I had a client who was told that he would never walk again. He had pins in his back and he was in a wheelchair when I met him. It took a lot of work for me to help him to understand that sometimes you have to allow your mind and your faith to help you do the impossible. Today, that man is a walking testimony.

To date, my thyroid is not functioning properly, but I have proved to myself that it is possible to lose weight with a thyroid problem.  I do not know if I will be able to get to my goalweight, but I have not lost hope of reaching it someday, for I truly believe that with the power of your mind and with the power of God on your side, all things are possible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, Win. My mother had hypothyroidism and I never really understood it. I was little when she was diagnosed. Thank you for the information.

Hugs,
Susan

http://journals.aol.com/sbrlz/Madnesstheillnessnottheband

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. Several people have mentioned that they think that I have problems with my Thyroids. My mom does. I am going to request a thyriod test when I go to the doctor next week.
hugs,
Kathi