Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pushing Daisies

 
 
OK... back to camp...
 
Like I said,
we trained and prepared for two days
before the campers showed up...
 
This year, the theme was Hollywood movies...
We decorated the General Session room
with huge poster boards of the Oscar,
we put down a red carpet leading to the stage,
and we hung long silver fringe from
the "door of fame."
There was a huge TV screen at the front
and the guys set up a great sound system.
 
The name of my family group was
Spiderman.
I was surprised at how
unbelievable
my poster came out
because we were on a time limit to finish up.
(I swear I only draw once a year
when I go to camp.)
LOL
 
At camp, staffers are usually provided
with two free T-Shirts,
which was great
because I didn't take enough clothes;
The dryer wasn't working at my apartment;
remember?!
 
We always wear the loudest shirt
when the campers come,
so we wore the Pink one...
but I poured on some of
Leah's box of goodies...
a superhero cape,
a boa,
a large peace sign necklace,
and super big sunglasses on my head
not to mention
the glow sticks secured to my wrists!
 
Our goal on the first day is to act so crazy
that the kids wonder what they got themselves into
~ banging on the bus windows~
~ screaming at the top of our lungs~
~ forcing ourselves into their buses,
etc...
The bad thing is that
it was raining really hard
when the kids showed up!
I got caught in the rain
and that is how I got sick
but there was so much to do
that there was no time to be sick...
 
We were covered up in ponchos,
acting & looking crazy, 
We walked the kids into registration,
covering them from the rain
with umbrellas
& helping them with their luggage...
 
One of the girls
that was in my family group last year
showed up at camp this year!
I tapped her on the shoulder
and she turned around.
We looked at each other
and we screamed at each other,
 jumping up and down
like there was no tomorrow!
 
After lunch, we began at General Session.
Staffers were introduced
 by family group name
with previews of the Hollywood movie.
I ran through the
door of fame,
with my co-fac,
ran up the red carpet towards the stage
with glow sticks secure around my wrists,
superhero cape flying,
making Spiderman moves & sounds...
My Spiderman poster was waiting at the front.
We grabbed the poster and posed for the camera,
as I continued to make Spiderman moves & sounds.
The crowd went wild.
LOL @ there was still talk
about my entrance on the last day of camp!
 
We were busy all day
with group sessions and meetings.
We had two family groups every day
and one Action Planning session that day.
 
At the first family group,
we had games to learn each other's names 
and we made Warm Fuzzy bags.
I explained to the kids how we would be using them
and I did a briefing about
what we planned to accomplish that week...
On the second family group,
I had the kids do the Trust Walk,
where one kid is the leader,
some are blindfolded
and some are not.
No one talks except the leader.
Everyone took turns at all the roles.
Then, we processed it
and discussed leadership observations.
I am the only staffer who does the Trust Walk,
but I love it and the kids learn a lot from it.
I was disappointed not to get Mary K
 in my family group,
but she was in my Action Planning group!
In Action Planning,
we show them the process to develop a plan
and they prepare the plan
of what they will do
to make a difference in their community.
By Thursday, the plan is complete
and it is presented to their sponsor for approval.
 
The Night Activity was a Scavenger Hunt.
We had a list of things
the kids had to find or create
based on what they brought with them.
I was blown away 
at how the kids put their heads together
to be so creative
for the things they didn't have!
For example, for bling bling,
they took the sparkly blue foil of a piece of gum,
put it on their teeth,
and smiled from ear to ear
at the judges..
The judges let out a big laugh!
They couldn't stop laughing
so they gave us a lot of points.
LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Wini, it sounds like such fun and I know the children will remember these times for the rest of their lives.  How great that you have shared this with little minds.
Big hugs to you GF, Joyce

Anonymous said...

testing one two three... Sybil said she cant post a comment...