Sunday, November 26, 2006

Pyramid of Health

 
The Thanksgiving feast was good, but the Chinese stir-fry and the creamy enchiladas were even better. And with all that wonderful wine, who needs a sleeping pill?! 
 
I usually eat a healthy Thanksgiving meal, but going to someone else's house was the result of too many treats for my tummy that were hard to say "no" to.  I swear, I must have put on at least 10 pounds over Thanksgiving alone...
 
I returned with a painfully scratchy throat, which means that I will probably be eating some soups with jalapeno until I feel better. I do not know if I will feel good enough to take go marketing today, but when I do, I think it would be better to take my mind off holiday foods and sweets for awhile and to review the Food Pyramid before I take that next trip to the grocery store.
 
Food Pyramid 
 
5-1/2 oz  protein: lean meats, poultry, legumes, beans, peas, nuts, seeds
3 cups milk
2 cups fruit
2-1/2 cups vegetables (best: broccoli, spinach, peas, green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes)
3 oz whole wheat grains (brown rice, barley, oats)
 
Super Foods
 
Vitamin C: water with splash of lemon juice for liver cleansing.
Omega 3s: flax for muscle
Cinnamon   for lowering cholesterol and improving glucose levels
Yogurt:  for building bones and for healthy intestinal tract
Seafood: for reducing heart disease and colon cancer
Whole Wheat Grains: for energy
Legumes: are low in fat and high in protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Good for lowering cholesterol and blood sugar
Nuts: contain copper, magnesium and vitamin E. Almonds contain calcium; walnuts contain Omega 3s.
 
Winivere
 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! On that day & Christmas I think MOST of us pig out! LOL
Hugs, Sug

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on the Super Foods.  Hubby has high cholesterol and this info will be useful to us.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info on the food products... I think I als gained some unwanted weight this weekend...hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hey Win!  Glad to hear you had a nice holiday.  I'm so glad to be back in touch with everyone!

Andi

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a lovely "Thanksgiving" I too am dreading the extra weight I also gain at Christmas time.The Food pyramid is very usefull info, thanx for sharing Take Care.Have a lovely day.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES