Thursday, May 17, 2007

Job Offer

                                                    

Dear Diary,

As you recall, I interviewed for a position in Corpus Christi last month. I was looking forward to finally moving back to Corpus, but unfortunately, they turned me down.

You can only imagine how surprised I was when they called me for another interview this past Monday. The bad thing is that they did not give me an address or a time to meet them. When I got into Corpus Christi, they made me wait until almost noon, because they were working on a project. I thought it was kind of rude for them not to give me a time or place to meet them, especially since the location of the job was not in Corpus, and then to make me wait all morning for them.

I wonder if they are trying to fill a place that nobody wants. It is 82 miles from Corpus, and it is a rural town in the middle of nowhere. The one apartment complex in town is way too much for my pocketbook. It will take a whole paycheck just to live there. I will have to wait for the next paycheck to buy food. Moving would involve having to pay rent and utilities in two places and renting a UHaul or getting a mover and packing. I hate the process of moving.

The odd thing is that my immediate boss didn't want me to leave and then he suggests that I move. He thinks that an opportunity like this might not present itself again if I turn them down. He suggested that I talk with our director and let him know what is going on.

Minutes later, our director called me. He said that my boss had talked to him about my problem. He offered to give me a bonus so that I could move and I dont know what else, because I was in shock at his words. He also said that the principal does not want me to be there next year, trying to console me by saying that the school where I am at has never had anyone there two years in a row because the principal does not like them.

I was half listening to what he was saying. In my mind, I was wondering if he has already given my school to someone else and is blaming it on the principal... although I must say that the principal at my school gives the impression that she is better than others, she is not approachable, and she does play favorites. He said that she was ok with me in the middle of the school year. I wonder if she changed her mind or if he has already decided whom he is going to place where I am at. I know that I really do not want to be at that school another year, not because of the kids, but because of the administration. 

I am supposed to go in to talk to my director tomorrow afternoon. He said that if I decide not to go, he will see what he can do. To me, it sounds as if he has already given my school to someone else, because he thought that I wanted to take this job.

I know I have to make a decision, but I still do not know what to do. There is still so much work to complete. I have no idea how I will be able to complete my work and prepare for the move at the same time.

What if I don't like it there? What if I get stuck with no money in a town where there are no other employment opportunites? How would I pay that high rent?

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you move to Lytle?  We are always looking for good teachers here!  You need to go where you are comfortable and appreciated. Good luck.....let me know and I will see what positions are open here. hugs, Barbara

Anonymous said...

You have a great deal to think over, regarding the position i would have a look around nearer home for a position.The principal sees you as a threat with the work you have been doing. Not only that she has blocked you in alot of your ideas for the kids. So i think its her that is pulling everyones strings. A shame realy kids deserve people that are dedicated to teaching. What ever you decide it will work out for you i am sure.
love and hugs
Katie

Anonymous said...

hope you can make a decision soon..  Take your time and do what is best for you.
Hope you have a great weekend,
Dondie

Anonymous said...

Win,
It doesn't sound like that job was meant to be for you.
Love,
Kat/Kuhlhiggins

Anonymous said...

Well, that is a lot to ponder.  You mentioned having a lot of free reign where you may be headed (and ,FWIW, I have a friend in Corpus, tho it's 82 miles away).  That your current principal is so ramrodding against you, likely as someone else said, threatened with your great ideas and trying to actually implement something.  And, you'd get a bonus to move.  But, not if you stayed?  I will pray that you make the right decision here.  Ultiamtely, you're not limited to these two positions, but perhaps in the right now, they are your options.  Is boarding in a house there an option?