Sunday, November 13, 2005

Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother

God must be rolling his eyes everytime I talk about my mother. Joan Crawford always scared me, but I never realized why until I saw the movie, "Mommy Dearest," which was written by one of her adopted kids, Christina. It was her eyebrows that gave me the creeps, and although my mother doesnt wear much makeup, she darkens her eyebrows and they are as scary looking as Joan Crawford's.

 A wire hanger?!#

WORDS OF WISDOM: A wire hanger was not designed to provoke rage. =.)

I know it is wrong to talk bad about your mother, but I thank the Lord that I do not live in my mother's house. It is bad enough that I live an hour away from her. She has always been my worst critic and her words cut through my heart like a knife. 

 Most mothers criticize their daughters because they are not married. My mother has never wanted a man to look at me and she has never wanted me to get married. In my culture, it is said that the bad curse of the mother becomes reality. Perhaps that is why my life has turned out as it has. Why would a mother want to curse her own child?! Yes, this Winivere has yet to meet her Arthur or her Lancelot.

My mother is all about appearances and to your face, you would think she is the greatest person, but you would have to be her daughter to know what I mean.

I left her house the day after high school graduation, but even though I am already 52 years old, she is still my worst critic. As you can see, I am back in that tower. I am the Woman in the Glass Box. All I need is for her to throw dirt on me and bury me deep into the ground.

I came to the Valley with good intentions, but coming to the Valley was a bad idea, because I have ceased to believe in myself and that is a bad thing. 

When I lost 50 lbs and was wearing a size 4 in jeans, she said to keep on going until I got into a size 10. (It's funny that she didnt recognize that a size 4 is smaller than a size 10.) She always wants to take our pictures, but that's how she collects the "evidence" to let me know repeatedly that I am fat.

Yes, after losing 50 lbs, she brought me down again, and that is when I stopped trying to lose weight. I gained 30 lbs after that comment, probably more by now, and I havent been able to take it off. Ughhh! Why oh why do I let her get to me when she has never been a supportive part of my life?! Who is she that her words continue to pound into my brain?

There is no way that I would have been able to accomplish all that I have accomplished in my life if I had stayed at home.

How old do I have to be before I realize that her opinion is not important?! Why do I allow her to have so much power over my life?!

Thanksgiving is almost here. No doubt she will come with my brother to eat Thanksgiving dinner at my apartment. I'm getting stressed out just thinking about having to see her again.

It's funny that, like Sybil, I am writing with a purple crayon.

   And like the little girl in the Exorcist, I feel like the Woman inside me is scribbling the words "Help Me" from the inside of my tummy.

I am tired of playing her victim, Lord. I am disgusted from my own vomit. Please put a shield between me and her words. Help me to fight for my own life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Win -  I would like to tell you that things between you and your mom will get better.....  What I can tell you is that you know in your heart what a great and beautiful person you are.  God, knows that as well.  Be mindful of those words and you will make it.  Jo

Anonymous said...

REC'D THIS IN MY EMAIL BOX BUT I DONT KNOW WHY THE ALERT WASNT POSTED...............

In a message dated 11/13/2005 1:32:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, AOLAlerts writes:

"How old do I have to be before I realize that her opinion is not important?!"

When you figure that out please tell me too.
Hugs, Marina

........YOUR WORDS MADE ME LAUGH. THANKS, MARINA. I NEEDED THAT! WILL KEEP YOU POSTED AS SOON AS I FIND OUT...

Anonymous said...

My Grandma is just like your Mother. I hate to be around her because her negativity starts to rub off on me. I was with her yesterday and I am still reeling from seeing the witch. The only reason I have anything to do with her at all is because of my Mother. If not for her I wouldn't give Grandma the time of day.
Love,
Kat
PS The pictures on this entry scare me.

Anonymous said...

Win..........I'm sorry about how your mother is......The only thing I can say is if I were in your position, I just couldn't have anything do do with her.  I refuse to have negative people in my life.  I had a brother like that except he was 100 lbs. bigger than me.  Who was he to talk?  So I had to put him out of my life.  One time he ended up in the hospital and my parents were tryin to put a guilt trip on me to go ses him....what if he dies, etc?  I refused to let them make me feel guilty.  He didn't die then.  He died alone last February from a drug overdose.  He had lied, stolen, and hurt my whole family and lost all his friends because of his negativity and drug use.  JMHO  Dana  P.S.  I'll have to dig up a pic.  I had some on my puter til it crashed.  Will be praying about your situation.

Anonymous said...

AH WIN--GREAT BIG HUG TO YA!!!!!!!!!!  I TOO WENT THROUGH THE SAME FEELINGS --SOMEONE SAID TO ME LONG AGO TO HONOR A FATHER OR MOTHER IF THEY ARE HONORABLE!!!!!  MY MOTHER HAS BEEN GONE FOR MANY YEARS NOW AND WHEN I HEARD SHE HAD DIED I SANG A SONG " THE OLD WITCH IS DEAD"   NOW AFTER ALL THESE YEARS I SEE THAT I WAS AFRAID OF HER TAKING MY LIFE--SHE WAS CAPABLE OF THAT.  NOW I LOOK BACK AND SEE A WOMAN WHO WAS HURT BY MANY THINGS IN LIFE AND SHE WAS ANGERLY LASHING OUT AT ME --BECAUSE SHE SAW HERSELF IN ME AND WANTED ME TO BE  PERFECT---NOW I LOOK BACK AND DRAG SOME GOOD TIMES INTO MY MIND, because I deserve to have good memories from my childhood and all time including NOW!!!
Just take care of yourself --be the MOM & GRANDMA that ya are and ENJOY--don't let her continue to suck the life out of Ya!!!--------Mary