Saturday, January 29, 2005

The Gay Beautician

Dont you just love this beautician picture? Check out the woman with the curlers machine! How times have changed...

It did not surprise me that Jaime is one more beautician who looks at me and thinks:  Marilyn Monroe blonde. Because of my job, I am in the public eye. I am not the kind of girl who dresses sloopy or slutty or follows all of the fashion trends. I have my own style, and even though I am outgoing and friendly, my modestly-priced clothes look dressy and sophisticated. I suppose that is why there are so many mistakes in my closet. I try for sporty casual and it just isnt moi, but then, that's another story...

I am flattered that beauticians want to take me from save to spectacular and that they picture me as a Marilyn Monroe.

Venus has been portrayed as the picture of beauty, but if I were the artist, my paintbrush would paint Marilyn. With all this blonde hair, I just wish I had the nerve to cut it as short as hers, but I would need to lose some weight first, and since my hair is naturally curly, I am afraid to go too short, because no one wants to look like Orphan Annie.

 Remember that Marilyn was never thin. Dont be fooled into thinking that you have to be thin to be beautiful. There are many overweight women who are very sexy. ~ Jaime (the Beautician)

Although I have trouble convincing myself thatI am a blonde type, surely, all of these beauticians cant be wrong, especially since none of them knows the other! So I will again, cross my fingers, and hope that it was worth the $50.00 to go completely blonde...Fifty dollars is a big sacrifice for me to spend on my hair. My practical side worries about the upkeep, but knowing what looks best is valuable knowledge all by itself, so the next time I go to pick up a box to do the task myself and/or to retouch, I wont stumble over which color should I choose.

And then it came, the dreaded question all singles hate to hear: How's your love life?!

I admitted to him that after the last romance, I am afraid to get back into the dating scene. He seemed surprised to hear those words out of my mouth.

He encouraged me to go out and added that if I dont find someone who is deserving of me that I should just use them for what the body requires.

My reaction to this was one of total shock... and then I burst out laughing! Would it be possible for someone like me to only use someone for sex?!! How dare he put that question into my mind! LOL

beauty shop image: www.mobridgecentennial.org

rose image: www.rakuten.co.jp

I know I am secretly hiding behind the weight, because I am afraid to attract the wrong guy. I look at all of the overweight women, men, and children and wonder what their lives are like. Are they happy with themselves or they trapped in a Glass Box like me?!

My friend, Belle, will be receiving her master's degree in May. It's sad that through my example, she returned to school to get her master's degree, but I was the one to quit in the middle of my program. I was surprised to hear her trying to encourage me to go back to get my master's. Unlike Belle, however, I pay for my classes out of my pocket and the drive to the University is a good distance. It got so expensive that I just couldnt afford to continue. I have thought about waiting until I am 65, because at that age, I can take classes for free, but perhaps, I need to give it some more thought...

Anyway, I will be traveling with Belle to her graduation in Houston in May, so I need to lose the weight I have gained back between now and then. If God will just help me to get back into walking, I should be able to do it.

This morning, I went out for a walk and I was able to slowly walk six laps. It isnt much, but it is a start. I hope my body will allow me the right to walk again, because I am not very good at the dieting game. Still, lent is coming up soon, so that will be another incentive to eat less.

Be my strength, Lord. Help my body to do what my brain wants it to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just keep walking and it will get easier and your speed will increase! you will loose the pounds that you think you need to in no time.
Here's something for ya: I dated a guy one time that was a cosmetologist....he always was making my already blonde hair platinum....turns out that in the end, he was gay too!
hugs,
Kathi

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
Thank you for leaving a comment in my journal. It will be hard to keep walking because I injuried my back last year, the year before, and about 20 years ago. Last year I lost 50 lbs but it became so painful to walk that I gained most of it back. I'm not too crazy about dieting, but I know walking works. Hope you come back to visit.
Win =.)

Anonymous said...

P.S... LOL @ your beautician friend trying to get you to go platinum. I hope this blonde hair wont make me look like a drag queen. ha ha...
Love, Win =.)