Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day 2006

                       HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

Father's Day is always a sad time for me, because my father is in heaven.

I wish I had known what it is like to sit on my daddy's lap. I wish I had known what it is like to have my daddy wrap his arms of love and protection around me. I wish I had known what it is like to ask daddy when mommy says no. I wish I had known what it is like to have my daddy in my life.

My daddy was a wise man beyond his years. He was a man of great strength and integrity. He fought in the Korean War as a sargeant in the United States Army. He was the first person in our family to go to college, which was unheard of for a latino of the 50's. Many people looked up to my father for the kind of man that he was.

My dad was a great artist. He was a carpenter. He was a barber. He was a bartender. He was a musician. My father grew up without his mother. I grew up without my dad.

My father died of leukemia in the veteran's hospital in Houston, Texas, at the age of 25. I was three years old.

It matters not how long a star shines. What is remembered is the brightness of the light.

Daddy, I cannot begin to tell you what my life has been like without you. I hope that when you think of me, you are smiling down from heaven at the woman that you hoped I would become.

You don't have to worry
And don't you be afraid
Joy comes in the morning,
Troubles they don't last always
For there's a friend named Jesus
Who will wipe your tears away.
And if your heart is broken
Just lift your hands and say

Oh! I know that I can make it
I know that I can stand
No matter what may come my way
My life is in your hands

With Jesus I can take it,
With him I can stand
No matter what may come my way
My life is in your hands

So when your test and trials,
they seem to get you down
And all your friends and loved ones
Are nowhere to be found
Remember there's a friend named Jesus
Who will wipe your tears away
And if your heart is broken
Just lift your hands and say...

I know that I can make it!

Heb 13:5 ... for he hath said, I will
never leave thee, nor forsake thee


  HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lovely entry for Fathers Day. And such a nice tribute to your Dad.
My memories, what few I have are not good ones.
Have a blessed day dear.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

He is a handsome man and i am so very sorry you lost him so soon. He was a winner and accomplished so much in such a short time! Thank you for sharing this.
You are in my thoughts,
lisa jo

Anonymous said...

((((Win))))  What a beautiful tribute to your dad.  Mine was also in the Korean War from 53-55.  We just got a tribute statue for the Korean veterans in our area put up a couple weeks ago.  We've been fighting to get this the last couple yrs. for they should be honored also.  It bothers me that just becuz this was was a short one, it's also a forgotten one.  Your dad is so handsome.  I don't know what it's like to grow up without a daddy but you'll see him again one day.  He will be able to see what a fine and beautiful daughter you have become.  Hugs,  Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/RoadToSuccess

Anonymous said...

I am missing my dad today too, but I was lucky enough to grow up with him.  He passed away 6 years ago, right before my 40th birthday.  Fathers Day is still sad though!

Sending ((hugs)) your way,
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

YOUR DAD IS GORGEOUS!!  I KNOW HE IS SO VERY PROUD OF YOU, WIN.  JUST LOOK HOW TALENTED AND KIND AND BEAUTIFUL YOU ARE...I KNOW MY FATHER IS STILL ALIVE BUT IT SEEMS AS IF HE HAS CHOSEN TO BECOME DEAD TO ME SINCE I NO LONGER HEAR FROM HIM.  I HAVE WONDERED OFTEN IF HE WOULD MAKE MORE OF AN EFFORT TO TALK TO ME IF I WERE BEAUTIFUL, THIN, SUCCESSFULL...I ALWAYS HAD A FEELING HE WAS DISAPPOINTED IN ME.  I AM SORRY THIS IS A SAD DAY FOR YOU.  I WISH YOU COULD HAVE HAD MANY, MANY YEARS WITH THIS GREAT MAN. STILL..."IT MATTERS NOT HOW LONG A STAR SHINES.  WHAT IS REMEMBERED IS THE BRIGHTNESS OF THE LIGHT."

Anonymous said...

So Sorry about growing up without your dad. My dad just passed away this February.  

Take care my new friend,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hi Win,

You write so beautifully, I can feel the wistfullness.  I too, never knew my Dad.  He drowned when I was 18 and I met his family and found out I have 7 half brothers & sisters.  It's funny too, because we all looked alike.

I'm sad that I never met him and instead grew up with a monster of a stepfather.

God blessed you to have beautiful thoughts and pride about your father.  

Stay strong my friend,
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Your Dad was such a handsome man and looks like he was full of love. I'm so sorry you have not been able to spend all these years with him, it must have been hard. I'm positive he is looking down on you right now, with pride & joy.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

Hey Win, Fathers are where we learn about men.   What a sweet young man I see in the picture.  Is this where your good looks come from?  :)
--- Hugs, MARY

Anonymous said...

LOL, Mary. Yes, I look like my dad. My mother was a pretty woman but my father was better looking than my mom. My uncle Robert looks like Robert Redford. He has blonde hair and blue eyes but he makes my aunt dye his hair brown because he doesnt want to be called a Gringo. LOL... I think that's funny. My mother says my father was better looking than my uncle. He had black hair and green eyes. It is hard for me to picture a man better looking than my uncle, so my father must have been a real Baldwin. I wish I had his green eyes. I really should go and fill that contacts subscription. =.)