Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Childhood Tapes

    "When I was a little girl, nobody ever told me I was pretty. Every little girl should be told she is pretty, even if she is not." ~Marilyn Monroe

Norma Jeanne's childhood was a series of destructive tapes, tapes of abandonment, child abuse, and low self-esteem. It was not until she became Marilyn Monroe that the public made her feel loved, but Marilyn never forgot the tapes in her head.

Norma Jeanne and I have a lot in common, and like Marilyn Monroe, it was my career and the public that made me feel as if I had something to give to the world. My career helps to pay the bills, but most important, it helps me to feel good about myself. Unfortunately, this year I was placed with a principal that is just as hateful as my mother. To have my mother and my job lower my self esteem has become a bit much.

When we are children, we are told stories of love, of prince charming and how our lives will suddenly become a happy-ever-after story when we get married, but when I was married, I never felt special. I was his maid, his sexual release, his servant. I was a good wife and I was a good mother, but he treated me more like a piece of property.

I have never had any man love me for myself. Men always wanted me for my body or for what I could do for them. My independence attracted them. My beauty attracted them. They used me and took advantage of me but they never took the time to know me. They never took the time to just love me. Like Marilyn, I am just a girl who wants to be loved, but because of my life experiences, I am afraid. 

In my 52 years, I am still a virgin to love. I have yet to discover what true love is all about, but I am afraid of becoming too comfortable within these mental walls that I have created for myself. Yes, these walls are only made of Glass and they are invisible to the naked eye, but I know they are there. I am afraid of getting hurt. I am afraid of allowing myself to trust another man into my world. I would like to know what love is, but I am content to stay in my comfort zone, no matter how quiet my world may be.

Is it any wonder that my body is afraid to GET THIN? I know that I need to get over it, but I continue to struggle to get past the hurt. My mother and the men who have walked into my life have filled my mind with the most destructive tapes. I choose not to listen to them, but my heart knows.

                             

                                    

Was coming to the Valley a big mistake or was it a reason to force me to look at things that I didnt want to look at? I wish I could just pack up and leave, but when I look at all the things I have in my apartment, it makes me wonder if I am choosing to live in my misery or if it just isnt the right time to leave. Is this a lesson that I need to learn for myself or is this a lesson that my mother needs to learn?

I dont know why it helps to be so far away from my mother, but it does. Living only an hour away from her is just too close for comfort. What is this stronghold that my mother has on me? Why do I listen to her hateful words? She always makes me feel as if I am not worthy and my heart cries for a chance to prove her wrong, but nothing that I do ever wins her approval. If I have a nice place to live, if I have running water, if I have a bed to sleep in, in her eyes, it is wrong to have all these simple everyday things that other people have, because I should be living as a marter. In her eyes, it is wrong for me to have a boyfriend. In her eyes, it is wrong for me to show happiness. In her eyes, it is wrong for me to show wisdom. What is it that makes her hate me so?

Living with a hard mother has taught me many life lessons that most people have not experienced. I am grateful for the things that I have learned, but I have yet to find an answer as to why my mother chooses not to be supportive and why she hates me so.

I wish my father was alive so that I could ask him. Was she always like this or did he witness another side of her? Father's day is tomorrow. I need to go to his grave and take him some flowers. I can only imagine how different my life would have been if it had been my father who survived my mother. And then the question comes... will my mother die before I do or will I die before my mother does? If she should die before I do, will her words die with her or will her words continue to play in my head?

I came to the Valley, because my mother and my brother had not talked in 15 years. It took me two years to get them to reconcile because my brother found it very hard to forgive her and also because my mother kept treating him like he is 5 years old. My brother has never married, and my mother still feels that she needs to take care of him, but she knows that I can take care of myself because I always have. When my father died, he told her to take care of me. I wonder if she feels guilty because I never needed her help to take care of myself. When I came to the Valley, I hoped to finally have a good relationship with my mother. I dont need for her to take care of me, but I wanted to be able to finally make some memories with her. What I got instead was confirmation that I am damaged goods. Yes, coming to the Valley only helped to destroy the strong self esteem that I had while I was far away from my mother.

The Woman in the Glass Box is almost faded now. She used to be so full of life, so energetic. I miss being the woman that I was. I miss her smile. I miss her laughter. I miss her.

"How much more time must I wait, my lady?" The clock keeps on ticking away the minutes, the hours, the years... 

Surely, the Woman in the Glass Box is more important than the words of an evil Queen.

                                   HISTORYME's Photo

If I can lose this weight that I have gained because I am in the Valley, while I am in the Valley, then I will have accomplished my goal of surviving my mother's hatred and I will get past the pain. When that happens, her hatred will no longer be able to touch me, and I will be able to break free from the Glass Box.

                                  

I am the Woman in the Glass Box. I have a right to love and to be loved. I have a right to be here.

 

 Win

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Win,
Your words cut my heart like a knife. I feel such love & kindred spirit with you.
I had a wonderful mother, but a father who never showed me love & then abandoned us when I was 12.
I, too have never found love. My marriage was to a man who abused me verbally & physically. Terrible abuse! He also abused my children & even caused me to lose a baby at 61/2 mos prgnancy.
But I know God loves me & has always loved me, the trials I've gone through are just that...trials.
I am beautiful & special & fat or thin i am "me"...A SURVIVOR! You, too are a survivor sweetie, we can finish this journey together, I haave a LONG way to go, you not that far...but let's walk it hand in hand.
Hugs,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Well i am sitting here crying.
I understand your feelings so so well. When you said you were a virgin of love my heart hurt. You deserve a REAL love, one that knocks you off your feet, one where you can be safe. Your mom has taken her own issues and hurt you beyond belief and for that, i am so sorry. Maybe you will only feel free when she is dead. Please please please believe i care and i understand so well.
Love,lisa

Anonymous said...

I am 45 and maybe the mothers of our time just can't show love and support to their kids.  I don't know, but trust me when I tell you, I was never good enough in her eyes.  I must admit, since I have had kids (and since they have grown up to be wonderful, intelligent, talented, well behaved, well respected kids) she had shown me more love and respect than she ever has.  I guess I had to PROVE myself to her and the only way I could do that was through my kids.

Can I adopt you?  The thought of you being in your 50's and not knowing love at all saddens me.  My husband and I are talking about becoming foster parents because I can't stand the thought of there being unwanted and unloved kids in the world.  Now I see there are unloved ADULTS too.

I want to lose weight too.  Maybe we can try and do it together.

You don't live in NJ do you??  (lol)

Jeanne
http://journals.aol.com/candlejmr/AJourneytoaNewMe/

Anonymous said...

Win,
This entry made me feel really sad because in someways we are just alike. I also have never had any man love me for myself. I find that very sad that we can't find the right men to love us. I have almost given up on ever finding the right person and wonder how long will it take me to find him and will I find someone before I die? It is easier not to be bothered with men than to be with someone who will break my heart.
Love,
Kat

Anonymous said...

YES, YOU DESERVE TO BE LOVED JUST THE WAY YOU DESIRE.  YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO LOVE BECAUSE YOU ARE LOVE.  JUST THINK OF ALL THE WONDERFUL, INSPIRING THINGS YOU DO FOR OTHERS EVERYDAY! THE TAPES PLAYING IN YOUR HEAD WILL REMAIN UNTIL YOU CONSISTENTLY REPLACE THEM WITH NEW TAPES.  I AM NOT SAYING IT IS EASY BECAUSE IT IT WERE, I WOULD HAVE IT DOWN BY NOW.  ALL WE CAN DO IS KEEP TRYING BECAUSE IF WE DON'T THEN EVIL WILL TRIUMPH OVER GOOD.  WE CAN'T ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN!! NEVER!!! I AM NOT BEING DISRESPECTFUL TO YOUR MOTHER, BUT HER ATTITUDE IS HER PROBLEM.  PLEASE, DON'T LET HER CRUELTY AND SELF-HATRED AND ENVY CAUSE YOU TO MISS OUT ON ALL THE WONDERFUL BLESSINGS THAT GOD HAS IN STORE FOR YOU.  YOUR LATTER WILL BE GREATER THAN YOUR FORMER.  YOU ARE A WOMAN OF FAITH...CONTINUE TO BELIEVE THIS.  MY FATHER DOESN'T TALK TO ME AND IT IS HIS LOSS. WITH RESPECT, YOU MUST LET YOUR MOTHER KNOW THAT YOU WILL NO LONGER TOLERATE HER CRUELTY.  IF YOU CAN NOT DO THAT AT THIS TIME, THEN KEEP YOUR DISTANCE FROM HER AS YOU WORK ON YOURSELF AND BECOME STRONGER.  I AM NOT SAYING IT IS EASY, BUT YOU ARE DEFINITELY WORTH TAKING CARE OF YOUR MENTAL HEALTH AS WELL AS YOUR PHYSICAL.  DON'T GIVE UP!!  I HAVE COME TO CARE FOR YOU JUST THROUGH READING YOUR ENTRIES! I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW GREAT A FRIEND YOU ARE IN PERSON.  IF YOUR MOM DOESN'T APPRECIATE THAT, THEN THE FAULT IS HERS, NOT YOURS.

Anonymous said...

Win..............My mom was a bit different.  She did show us love all the time but she wasn't emotionally there.  She had developed emotional probs cuz of a birth control pill she had taken in the 60's which was taken off the market.  It caused her some physical probs also.  From the time I was 8-15, I filled the role of mom to my 2 younger brothers and sister while my dad worked midnites.  I had to cook and clean for everybody.  One of my best friends would help me clean just so I could get out to do things as a normal kid.  I moved out on my own at 15.  I couldn't take it anymore.  The years went by and about 10 yrs. ago, I found out my youngest brother couldn't understand why I left him and my sister there to fend on their own and didn't take them with me.  We all got together as a family and talked and asked my mom & my dad (he showed us love some) why did we have to live like we did (horror story).  They really didn't have an answer.  We were mostly upset with my mom for not being a mom to us.  After we told them how we felt and asked questions, we had to realize it was in the past.  We forgave them so we could close that chapter in our life.  She passed away 3 yrs. ago & I'm so gladd we could talk with her.  There were times when they didn't support or approve of us living our life but we just ignored it.  Sounds like your mother is set in her ways and there's prolly nothing that will change that.   She chooses to be like she is, not YOU.   You are a wonderful important woman who deserves to be love and is loved & can choose to to be free and happy or be shankled by a negative hateful mother.  I know it must be hard and heartbreaking.  Each person has the ability to be happy or sad.  I choose to be happy and keep negative people out of my life as much as possible.  You can to Win.  I know it's easier said than done.  Hugs, D

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you have never been able to realize what it feels like to be truly loved, tht makes me so sad. I'm also so sad that your Mother has treated you this way......what a lifetime of wonderful memories she has squandered. I'm going to put you on my daily prayer list and ask God to bring you love......to heal your heart and set your  wounded soul free.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~