Saturday, July 17, 2004

TO BE ABLE TO REMAIN STANDING

Boxing has 15 rounds. When facing a boxing match with Apollo Creed, heavy boxing championship of the world, an unknown, million-to-one shot Rocky Balboa told his girlfriend, Adrian:

I cant beat him, Adrian, but if I can only go the distance...

                          eminem music poster

Rocky's goal was to be able to remain standing the full 15 rounds. In order to do that, he had to remain strong and he had to remain focused. That strategy also meant no sex during training. The inspiration behind Rocky Balboa is that he never gave up. He was a small little unknown who wasnt very bright, but he had heart.

I noticed on some films that athletes put their opponent's picture on their mirror so that they can look at it everyday. I was surprised to see this, because I had been doing that for years. When struggling with my weight, I have always had a specialized corner of the room set up just for the full-length mirror. I keep my free weights there and my measuring tape and on my mirror are pictures of women whom I admire physically, such as Rachel McLish, who's body I achieved after the birth of my two children. I realize that now I am twice that age and that gravity is not my friend, but being fit is what the game is all about.

Having children does not make you fat; ex-husbands do!

Looking back, I have always tried to keep my body in form. When my friends would see me, they would always see me in jogging clothes or they would call me the Dancing Queen when they'd see me on the dance floor with my dancing partner. My closet doesnt hold any of those kinds of clothes anymore. Now all I see are clothes for work... no clothes to play in, no clothes to have fun in. How boring! Need to change that! The problem is that I dont care for the clothes they have in the stores. Need to start sewing again, but first, I need to clean out that closet.

Keeping in shape is a lifetime challenge, not just a few days or a few months. If you want your body to look fit and you want it to stay looking fit, you have to commit to changing your lifestyle for the rest of your life. I look back at all the different strategies I have used in the past and I think: oh, I need to try that again or that again!

Losing weight is not a problem. Losing weight is something that anybody can do. Changing your lifestyle... ah, now there is the challenge... My goal, like Rocky's, is to be able to remain standing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

{{{{{Win}}}}}   this was a very good post.....very though provoking! I'm glad you're feeling better....I need to write about my Sammy bear too!  

Love,
Vivian