Monday, July 2, 2007

Monday's Goddess

Selene & Endymion
 
 
 
 

Monday is ruled by the moon. The Moon Goddess has many names: Artemis, Diana, Selene, Luna. For today's story, I will refer to her as Selene, because when I think of the huntress, I think of Diana.

Selene was the twin sister of the sun god, Apollo (who is on my Sunday plan). By day, Selene (Diana) was a skilled archer who would hunt in the woods and enhance her beauty by bathinig in the sea. In the meantime, her brother, Apollo (sun), would make his journey across the sky in his magnificent chariot. At day's end, Selene (moon) would rise in her chariot and drive across the sky, shining her brilliance upon the earth. 

One evening, the moon goddess caught a glimpse of a handsome young shepherd. He was sleeping on a hillside with his sheep scattered over the gentle slope. Selene was so attracted to his beauty that she stepped out of her chariot to get a closer look. She just stood there in awe, gazing at the beauty of his face. Then she bent down and kissed him softly on the lips...

The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and stars were the gifts you gave
To the dark and the empty skies, my love,
To the dark and the empty skies.

The first time ever I kissed your mouth
And felt your heart beat close to mine
Like the trembling heart of a captive bird
That was there at my command, my love
That was there at my command.

And the first time ever I lay with you
I felt your heart so close to mine
And I knew our joy would fill the earth
And last till the end of time my love
It would last till the end of time my love

The first time ever I saw your face, your face,
your face, your face...

~~~~~~~~~~"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack

The sleeping shepherd was half-wakened by her kiss. He rose quickly and rubbed his eyes, but he only caught a fleeting vision of her chariot flying quickly across the sky. Was it real or was it but a dream? 

Selene kept thinking about Endymion. The following night, she could not stay away. She had to see him again, but Endymion never caught more than a glimpse of her.

Selene was so drawn to Endymion's beauty, that she kept coming to Earth, and she started to neglect her goddess duties. This angered Zeus, so they had a little talk.

Selene told Zeus that she kept coming to earth because she was afraid that Endymion would lose his beauty as he aged, because he was a mortal. Selene wanted Endymoin to be immortal so that she could be with him forever, and she was hoping that Endymion would want to be immortal, too. She pleaded with Zeus to grant Endymion whatever he wished for, but Endymion did not ask to be immortal. He was a vain mortal who just wanted to retain his good looks. Zeus wanted Selene to return to her goddess duties, so he granted Endymion's wish. He cast a spell on Endymion to retain his good looks but with one catch... eternal sleep.

Selene carried Endymoin to a cave in a mountain-side known only to herself. Each night, as she rode her chariot across the sky, she would come to earth to stop by the cave and visit the sleeping Endymion. The legend is that Selene gave the sleeping Endymion fifty daughters, which represent the moons of the year. This is why Selene is also known as the goddess of fertility. In Italy, there is a statue of the multi-breasted moon goddess.

More info on Monday's Plan coming tomorrow.

No comments: