Sunday, July 1, 2007

Helpful Hints- Metabolism

Today's Helpful Hints:
*boost your metabolism*
(part one) 

" A life that is lived being over-weight

is a life that is only half-lived." ~Oprah Winfrey

Because I have hypothyroidism (low metabolic rate), it is harder for me to lose weight than it is for the average person. This is part one of a series of foods to help to rev up your metabolism and improve your health. Consider these foods on your next trip to the supermarket!

1. Apples~ melt fat, prevent hunger pangs by stabilizing blood sugar levels...(pectin)~ good for diabetes, lower cholesterol, lower high blood pressure (HBP).

2.  Asparagus~ breaks down fat cells, diuretic, get rid of bloat... (asparagine)~ good for healthy circulation and kidney function

3. Berries~ reduces & releases fat absorption... (fiber, pectin)~ good for cellulite

4. Bread (whole grain: pumpernickel, whole wheat, mixed grain, oatmeal)~ reduces appetite, feel less hunger. According to Norweigian study, people who eat less than two slices of bread daily weigh about eleven pounds more than people who eat a lot of whole grain bread, and people who eat white bread were hungrier and ate more fattening foods... (fiber, complex carbohydrates, protein)~ good for weight loss.

5. Coffee~ fat burner, boostsmetabolism 10%... (caffeine)~ limit to two cups daily

6. Garlic~ antibiotic, antiviral, reduces fat cells, fires up metabolism

7. Grapefruit~ natural fat and cholesterol fighter... (vitamin C, potassium, galacturonic acid)~ to take away tart taste, sprinkle with cinnamon instead of sugar.

8. Mustard (hot Mexican, Indian, or Asian kind)~ temporarily speeds up metabolism more safely than caffeine. One teaspoon can speed up metabolism to as much as 20-25% for several hours.

9. Onions~ fat burner, speeds up metabolism

10. Peppers~ metabolism-raising properties (thermogenic) fall into the same category as hot mustard... (vitamin C, calcium, phosphorous, iron, magnesium, fiber)

11. Potatoes~ rapid weight loss... (fiber, potassium)~ lower cholesterol, protect against strokes and heart disease. Top them with lemon juice, chives or plain low-fat yogurt instead of butter, milk or sour cream.

12. Rice~ rapid weight loss and medical results... good for reversing & curing kidney ailments and high blood pressure

13. Soup~ Homemade Soup Recipe:  slice three large onions, three carrots, four stalks celery, one zucchini, one yellow squash. Place in kettle. Add three cans crushed tomatoes and two packets low-sodium chicken bouillon, three cans water and one cup white wine (optional). Add tarragon, basil, oregano, thyme and garlic powder. Boil, and then, simmer for one hour. Serves six.... Can have this soup in limitless quantities without gaining weight.

14. Soybeans~ blocks fat absorption & promotes the breakdown of fatty deposits... (lecithin)~ eat three times a week.

15. Spinach~ burns fat, revs up metabolism, lowers cholesterol... (iron, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E)

16. Tofu (soybean curd)~ makes your metabolism run on high, lowers cholesterol... (calcium, iron)~ Because tofu is tasteless, anything you add to eat will blend nicely. The firm kind is good for stir-frying or adding to soups and sauces. The soft kind is good for mashing, pureeing, chopping, and adding to salads. Recommended intake @ 40 grams per day.

I was a bit disappointed in the way I wrote my Sunday plan. I think it was too long. It would have been better to cut it up in pieces and elaborate on each section. My plan is not perfected. I am still going through trial and error to see what works for me, but once it is finished, I think it will be easier to remember how to plan and organize my days...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this entry i will certainly be using some of the things you have mentioned, I never knew that about bread though.Thank you. I hope your weekends been good my dear friend
love and hugs
katie

Anonymous said...

I did NOT know that about all those foods but I have the exact opposite problem with the metabolism.  Mine is extremely high and I cannot gain weight.  Although I quit smoking and have put on a few pounds.  I feel a little better.  Good luck to you friend.  Love, Shelly

Anonymous said...

I'm not trying to lose weight (but could REALLY use toning / shaping up!), but yum, I think I like all of these.  Berries are fresh and really good right now, too.

Anonymous said...

Now those are some great tips.....thanks for sharing them!!!!
-Ellie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these great tips!
Hugs,
D