Friday, October 28, 2005

Options = Power

                           

What a surprise to discover that someone who has never made herself known to me has been reading my journal on a regular basis. Please do not hide yourself by not leaving a comment for it is your comments that help to sustain me on this most difficult journey.

I havent written much in my journal this month, because my career life has been in more stress than words can say. The woman who became my boss practically called me "stupid," has put me completely on ignore by not returning my phone calls and my emails, and gets angry anytime I ask a question. I am used to being the one that people turn to when they have a question, but with this new job, I've had to try to find someone with the answers, but nobody wants to help. This past week, all of the youth counselors have been on a special project trying to clean up the paperwork mess that the previous youth counselors left. What does that mean? That means that they left me all alone at the center. If you saw the movie "Clueless," picture me as the Star of that movie since October 1st! There are so many forms and so many contracts and so many clients. And yes, because I was left alone, I have been the only one who has been seeing all of them. How can you service someone when you havent been trained and when they have left you totally clueless and there is no book or direction to help you to figure out what to do?! I have to say that for someone who doesnt know what they are doing, I think I have done a pretty good job without them...

I was just remembering yesterday about how easily jobs fell into my lap during my childhood. The people of the community knew what a great worker I was, because I began working when I was five years old. They were shocked to see such a little girl who was so responsible and dependable. What employer comes looking for a ten year old to ask them to come to work for them?! And when I was in junior high and they learned that I taught myself how to design and make clothes and when they learned that I taught myself how to type, they continued to look for me to come to work for them. Yes, during my childhood, I had many offers to choose from, but I left home as fast as I could because of problems with my mother.

Yesterday, I was thinking about how great it would be to get job offers like that again. I was thinking about how difficult my choice of career has been, primarily because of the long hours, the extensive travel and the extreme wear and tear on the many cars I have had to buy to maintain a job, but what is worse is the extreme wear and tear it has had on my body to survive my career.

Today, at almost 4:45 p.m., while on the line of duty, I received a job offer by telephone from someone I have never met. No resume, sight unseen? Hired on the spot by telephone in as little as ten minutes? He wants me to start Monday. I didnt put in a resignation letter at work, because I still am having difficulty believing that it is true. I look forward to meeting the man who would hire an unknown by telephone.

The best jobs you can get are the ones that God lays gently on your lap.

~ Win =.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl!  Congrats on the job offer!  I hope it works out for you.

I'm still waiting for that phone call! I'll e-mail you my new ph. number.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

I hope that this job is great and pans out for you!
hugs,Kathi