Sunday, October 30, 2005

My Previous Life

  

A life spent being overweight is a life that is only half-lived. ~ Oprah Winfrey

My mysterious reader brought herself to light through email. You still havent left a comment, but I know that you are still reading. =.)

The pictures above are the most recent pictures I have of myself. I hate taking pictures. The first one was when I weighed 190 lbs. With that big tummy, you cant tell that I have big breasts! Shocking. The second and the third pictures are when I lost weight in 2003. I went down to 146, but because of continued stress from my career, from my mother, and from people who used to read my journal who were jealous because AOL wanted to feature my journal, I have gone back up to 170. The readers made me feel that I didnt deserve the honor and so I turned down AOL. What a big mistake! Since then, it has been so hard to get motivated again. It would be good if I felt I had some support, but I feel as if I continue to live through this difficult weight-loss journey alone.

Because I am only 4'11", I have always had to watch my weight. I started gaining weight at the age of 10 when they took my tonsils on Valentine's Day. Although I was blessed with beauty, beauty brought much sadness and tragedy into my life. All the stress of physical and sexual abuse in my childhood kept me overweight, and I would add to that by hiding my body under very lose clothing, because I didnt want to look attractive. I was afraid to be beautiful, because it was beauty that made boys and men from my own family want to take me sexually. Because my father died when I was three and because my mother was never home, they knew that I was an easy target with no one to defend me, and because I was a child, I was not strong enough to fight them off. I remember hearing them talk amongst themselves, saying that because I was a child that I wouldnt remember what they had done, that children forget, but I knowfrom experience that children do not forget. Add to that an abusive mother who repeatedly tells you that you should have been born a boy, who repeatedly tells you that you are and will always be nada.

Some people in your life can be toxic and I choose to stay away from them, but staying away from your own mother is hard.

When I went to college, I started jogging around the track, and it was then that I was discovered~ again, but this time it was by the Art Department, and they asked me to model. That was my first good experience with beauty, because the pictures the students painted of me were very flattering. Because I didnt drive or have a car, I learned to walk very fast. I had to, because it was a very large campus and I lived far from campus, and I also held three jobs to pay my way through college.

Life was sweet, until I had to leave college to marry the wrong man who was but a repeat pattern of sexual and emotional abuse... and unfortunately, he became the father of my children. Fortunately, the marriage was short-lived.

Being a single parent is hard, especially when you are working full-time and return to college full-time and have to take care of a household full-time with no help from welfare or anybody, but I am proud to have been a good role model to my children and I am proud of what they have become.

Children dont make you fat, ex-husbands do.

After my divorce, I kept in shape by jogging and lifting weights, and then I discovered Disco or should I say Disco discovered me. Although I didnt go dancing often, when I did go, it was hard to keep me off the dance floor, because I had so much energy. Men would always ask me to dance, because to me, it didnt matter if they were good looking, skinny or fat. I just wanted to dance and I would dance with anybody who asked. From the time I stepped into Dr. Livingston's until the last dance, it was rare to see me be off the floor, because whenever one man got tired, another one would step in and another and another and another. Yes, I would say that was the time when I was at my fittest~ lifting weights, jogging, and dancing and working two or three jobs at the same time. There was a man who wanted for me to dance with him professionally, but I was afraid of what people would think because he is black. What stupid mistakes we make when we worry about what other people will think.

It felt good to be able to go into a store and buy something off the rack, knowing it was going to fit without even trying it on.

My health began to deteriorate after my car accident in 1980. I broke almost every bone in my body and I died and came back to life after making a bargain with God. I am now 53 years old. I did not expect to live this long, because my bargain with God was only until my children were grown and on their own, but I am still here.

Being fit and strong is wonderful, but beauty has also attracted all the wrong men into my life. 

I am the beautiful woman within the walls of glass, protecting my heart from the cruelty of the outside world. I fight for lives of others and I fight for self-improvement and wisdom, but I hide behind my work and I find other things to fill my days. I am afraid to be beautiful. I am afraid of attracting yet another wrong man into my life. 

I have lived without love all of my life. I do not know what it is like to sit on my father's lap. I do not know what it is like to have a mother who loves me. If it had not been for the birth of my second child, I would have never known what it is like to mean the world to one person.

The man of my dreams will allow me to blossom in my own light. He will not allow me to become a part of somebody else's shadow. I have lived without love all of my life. If the love of a good man should find me this late in my life, will I be able to recognize it, and most important, will I be able to surrender to it? 

 

Thanks for listening,

Win =.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you are beautiful.
I have always had a weight problem too.
I do think that love will come to you and you will recognize it.
Thank you for sharing with us.
hugs,
Kathi

Anonymous said...

Hi Win,
Thank you for sharing this with us. So sorry to hear that men have taken advantage of you when you were a child.
Love,
Kat

Anonymous said...

Hey Win,
Oh yes, I continue to read your inspiring journal.  You've had a tough journey, but look at where you're at now.
In order to find the love of a good man...you need to be receptive.  It will happen and you will finally surrender your heart.

Anonymous said...

Hi Win,  Thanx for stopping by my journal and leaving a comment.  I'm a little too far to come clean your house. ;)  You've lost the weight before.  You can do it again.  I think you are a beautiful person.  Take care.  *Hugs*  Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/BamaSweetiePiesWeightLossJournal

Anonymous said...

"Children dont make you fat, ex-husbands do."
"Being a single parent is hard, especially when you are working full-time and return to college full-time and have to take care of a household full-time with no help from welfare or anybody, but I am proud to have been a good role model to my children and I am proud of what they have become"

OMG!!  Are you my long-lost sister!?  LOL   I know exactly how you feel!  Feel free to check out my board and I will add you to my side list!!  Isn't it amazing how strong we can make ourselves.....

http://journals.aol.com/goddessgibson/FightingThesePounds/

Kelly

Anonymous said...

You will be able to recognize it {{{{{Win}}}}}!  I almost let it slip away from me. I found it 3 years ago but didn't recognize it. Luckily it didn't get far away and a year and a half ago we drifted back towards each other. Just about 4 weeks ago we realized it was time for us to declare our feeling for each other and move forward. Now I can see that I will finally be loved the way I've longed to be loved. I can finally be confident in the love of the person who is professing it to me and I can freely give of my love back to him.

It is a late in life love, but it almost feels like a first love. I feel like a young woman again...giddy and everything. The future seems bright. You will know it when it arrives!

VIVIan

Anonymous said...

HI! Thanks for visiting my journal... wow... I do see a lot of similarities between us and ... some things that are very different too. I have a great daddy... he is my anchor and I thank God every day for the role he plays in my life. I also have four awesome brothers and three incredible sons... romantic love has escaped me, without a doubt, but I am so blessed to have a beautiful family that loves and supports me. I'm also short... 5'1... and I've also struggled with my weight, partly to camoflauge myself and partly because I always seemed to get attention fat or thin. One of those, "look at me" personalities... I don't know how. Work for me is... pleasant most of the time but hectic and exhausting. Tightening the Corset comes from my addiction to Gone With the Wind... the scene where mammy is lacing Scarlett up for the barbeque at Twelve Oaks... this always made an impression on me and when I decided to commit to weight loss... that's the scene that popped into my head. I hope you'll visit me often... comment as much as you like... and I will do the same. So glad to make a new friend!
*hugs*
heather

Anonymous said...

Darling,

You are beautiful no matter what!  Please don't feel that you are alone, because you are not.  We don't always comment, but we have alerts set to when you make entrys into your journal.  It's a pleasure reading you, ALWAYS!

And, even greater talking on the phone...let's do it again soon.

Your friend,
Andrea

Anonymous said...

I know more people who have been sexually abused or molested than I know of those who weren't.  It is a sad world we live in today.  I, too, was molested as a child.  At least for me, I got an apology from my abuser after I was grown, which gave me some closure.  Most people don't get that.  I am sorry for what you have had to go through.  I do not feel you deserved it, but I admire you for what you have accomplished.

Blessings!~
Susan
http://journals.aol.com/rjet33/CountryLivingSouthernStyle/
http://journals.aol.com/rjet33/MyPicturePostcardJournal/