Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Time is Precious

Watching the Gerald Ford ceremony today made me feel how precious time is. The last week of 2006 and the beginning of 2007 has brought such sadness with the passing of James Brown and Gerald Ford and the hanging of the terriorist, Saddam Hussein.

First of all, I know that Hussein was a bad person, but I never thought that hanging would be something that I would see in my day.

James Brown's passing hit me kind of hard, but it seemed somewhat appropriate that he should pass away on Christmas Day. I remember the first time I saw James on the tele. I was instantly drawn to his music and his unbelievable energy. James Brown~ appropriately titled "The Godfather of Soul, "Soul Brother Number One," "The Hardest Working Man in Show Business," "Mr. Dynamite." Like a timex watch, he took Rhythm and Blues and turned it into Soul music and he took Soul music and turned it into Funk and he kept on going to change the Colored into Black. His music, his charismatic energy, and all that fancy footwork influenced many performers and so many people.

I do not mean to sound bias, but I have seen music change from the very first day that I learned what a radio was and the music I grew up with was the best. James Brown, Chuck Berry, The Supremes, The Beegees ~ yes, even Michael Jackson~ they all made the kind of music that had us on our feet. 

The funeral service for Gerald Ford was so heartfelt. I especially liked the part when the soldiers carried the casket, because all of the services were represented.

 It just made me see how important honor is and how precious time is. I was three years old when my father had a military funeral. Honor has always been important to me, no matter how humble.

If today was the day of your funeral, what would others say about you and your life? Would you be proud of what you have done with your life so far or would you be buried with your dreams? 

P.S. Check out my other journal, The Mad Platter. The link is on the sidebar. I think my journals will finally coordinate themselves this year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good question.  I dont know how I would feel. I would be sad I didnt get to watch my kids grow up and be parents themselves.

hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this thought provoking entry... i shall give your questions some thought.. by the way i love th fairy graphic...
Lyn

Anonymous said...

I think your Fairy pic is so cute, lovely. I think we never stop having a dream. So i would be buried with my Dreams but hopefully when i have passed through the pearly gates my main dream would at least come true. i would love to be held in my mothers arms.The other bit would i be proud of my self, if im true to people who i love and myself, then i would be proud.
BRILLIANT THOUGHTS FROM YOU, THANK YOU.
LOVE AND HUGS
KATIE

Anonymous said...

Hi Win ,
I've finally decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and get back to getting healthy....also my journaling. I was so self absorbed in some problems of mine that I totally lost perspective on the other areas of my life, in other words....I screwed up royally!! :)
But, that's in the past and now I'm going forward, a little bruised but still standing. I have 20 some pounds to re-lose but I have faith in myself that I will not only do that....I will reach a very good spot by this time next year. Thank you for hanging with me while I strayed, it really meant a lot to know I had people pulling for me. Your positive and uplifting words of support & encouragement  meant more than you know at a time when I needed them so badly.
I hope your 2007 is filled with all good things and many happy moments with your family.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~