Sunday, January 14, 2007

Student Recognition Awards

I am so so sorry that I have not been able to visit your journals lately. I have been working from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. everyday. I feel so overwhelmed and I am still so very far behind in my work.

 
This week I spent most of my time gathering the students grades, behavior and attendance information so I could make the Student Recognition Awards. For this ceremony, I decided that I needed to give recognitions to the kids that are failing but are trying to improve and to invite them to the ceremony to see what the other kids have been able to achieve. It took me three days to get all the information so that I could see who would be winning awards for the third six weeks and also for the first semester.  Then on Friday, I had to find a place to gather all of the kids and give out passes so that I wouldn't have to go pick them up one by one. 
 
The Student Recognition Awards ceremony was very invigorating.  The kids can get as many as six certificates each if they participate in the events and maintain their grades, attendance, and do not get any behavior referrals.  Doing the award ceremonies is something extra that I do at my job, but I think it is worth it, because I see how much it has helped them to improve. I love to see them counting how many they got and looking at how many their friends got. I do not know how it will affect the kids that are failing, especially since I have one that is jealous and hateful, but only time will tell.
 
Also, the dance instructor is supposed to show up next Monday. When I asked previously if we could do the dancing, the principal agreed, but now it sounds as if other people take precedence over my program. I was kind of hurt when the principal emailed me to say that it was only my program, but I cannot give up on this. I hope I can find a way for us to do the dancing.
 
  Winivere
P.S. What happened to my counter?!# Did it turn all the way over?? I don't know why I have so much difficulty with it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The awards sounded like a wonderful idea.
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...sounds like a good idea! :o) And my counter does the same thing. :o)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Win........have a great day!
Hugs,
Dana

Anonymous said...

Sorry you didn't get the dancing....but don't give up!! The awards sound like they were awesome and went over well......the kids are blessed to have you behind them. I'm proud of you Win.....for making a difference :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~