Sunday, February 12, 2006

A Courageous Decision

                  

        Whenever I think of ice skating, I think of Michelle Kwan. Michelle won her first world title in 1996 at the age of 15. She has been the face of figure skating for the past ten years. 

  Michelle Kwan has been a great leader who has inspired us all with her elegance and grace on the ice. Her career has become an astounding story towards accomplishing her goal, her dream to win a gold metal at the Olympics, and I had no doubt in my mind that she would make it.

         Click to enlarge

When I first heard of her groin injury this year, I was so afraid that her injury would prevent her from competing at the Olympics, but she didnt give up. She kept trying and she made it on the team. Unfortunately, this second injury has forced her to make the courageous decision to step aside.

"I wish I was here in better circumstances," Michelle Kwan said Sunday morning, her voice flat and her eyes puffy. "It's physical pain that is keeping me from competing, but it is also emotional, because it is a tough decision. The Olympics is strength, courage, and passion, but that's not enough to be an athlete. Physically, I am not able to be at my best... I respect the Olympics too much to compete and I don't feel I can be at my best."     

I can only imagine how devastated she must be, especially since she was so close to turning her dream into a reality. It is said that because at age 25, she is already too old for this sport, that it is unlikely that she will return to the Olympics next year. 

Michelle, if you should come across this journal entry, do not allow this setback to keep you from your dream.  Please come back to us. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Winn its good to see some positive words--Granny Hugs to ya, MARY

Anonymous said...

Hey Win...it's good to hear from you.  Enjoyed your entry, lots.  Jo

Anonymous said...

And, just where have you been, young lady?  LOL, it is good to see your familiar alert in my mail this morning.

Yes, Michelle, such beauty & grace, skill & flare!  We are going to miss her enchanting routines on the ice.  So wonderful!

1996, eh?  Wow!  It doesn't feel like 10 years since she hit the scene.  God bless you, Michelle!  We love you and will always remember...

Andrea